Click for Burger Click for Burger Privacy Matters Click for Mulder Click for Westport

AC Pump Trips Main Breaker

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by CaboFly, Oct 4, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

All good. I try and do things the best I can. Already ordered new fittings this morning that are all threaded.

This is only second time in refit I had to do something twice. First was on hardtop when Furuno tech on forum pointed out that if I ran an 11 degree down angle from my radar array it would be partially blocked on centerline by a spot light I had forward on hardtop on a custom mount to see over thermal camera. I ended up removing both and buying a second spot light so I could mount one to each side of thermal camera for symmetry.
    Now I always look closely at hardtops. That liferaft on the hard top of the beached 92 surely is blocking a portion of radar beam. Everything in a boat is a series of compromises just need to pick your battles. I am very confident in my glued schedule 80 but if a survey would disagree and there is a better way then I am always looking to do better and will update.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve had 3 surveyors on boats with schedule 80. It passed.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think I commented before, Grey or schedule 80 PVC is not an issue. Surveyors usually do not have a problem with it.
    It's the glued assembly that they may have the problem with.
    Mechanical assembly is always superior to chemical adhesion.
    Still, I lean to nylon or marelon fittings for greater security.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Curious what ABYC says about glued fittings?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

As i said, 3 surveyors, no mention. If it was an ABYC issue it would have been on the surveys.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Years ago I had a surveyor who did gripe about it below the water line on a sink drain.
    I had to prove it was not below the water line, He still gripped but did not write it up.
    Since then (early 90s) I don't glue any plumbing, anywhere.
    Had another purchase surveyor gripe about white pvc fittings fitted into a drain manifold on a customers boat (late 00s). Factory installed (SeaRay). Those were changed out with marelon and hose, all good then.
    Funny thing, found the same thing on a later Hatt 70 a few years ago. It was never mentioned on any surveys. That boat just sold last month. I was told a perfect survey.

CaboFly can always call his past surveyor and ask.

Just imagine; what/where is the usual pvc failure at home?
    For me, usually the glue joint.
  7. CaboFly

CaboFly Member

I called my surveyor on my drive home from work and he is well and quite busy. He said schedule 80 bueno.... glue no bueno. New fittings on order.

In a perfect world Marlon would fabricate fittings to build what I am doing or even better make their own Manifold from Marlon that is one piece with 4 or 5 threaded ports you could install appropriate sized nipples to that are Marlon.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm glad you called him.

Now that's funny..
    :D:D
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen the pressure spikes happen, fender covers discharge when boat comes tight on floating dock. Vibration over time, and such is what I'd worry about as far as a glued pipe.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

You're missing the forest for the trees.
    I just checked the specs of that pump: it's rated for a max head of 27 ft, and can withstand a max internal pressure of 25 PSI.
    So, we are talking of pressures which are laughable, for any half decently glued pipes.
    In other words, even if you would seal the discharge completely, all you would get is an overheated pump motor, which will eventually fail.
    If you can name any boat in real world whose glued pipes of A/C raw cooling circuit exploded and sank the boat, I will eat my hat.

PS: this is not to suggest that glued pipes are better than threaded, mind.
    I'm just saying that the gripe against glue is totally unjustified, in this case.
    And anyone who think that glued parts are by definition unsafe should never board a plane, BTW.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'll just add this small piece. I've seen glued fittings come apart in my hands. Glued applications are only as good as the glue process someone follows. Many simply pick up pieces and add glue. No emory paper. No cleaner. Just glue. Hard for any third party to interpret what they see when they view a glued joint.

So I get the concern. Always go thread where and if you can.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Absolutely.
    But by the same token, I've also seen fittings glued with the right sealant and following the correct process, that were simply impossible to take apart - to the point that if forced, the pipe broke elsewhere but not in the glued part.
    When I said that the gripe against glue isn't justified, I didn't specify "when used properly", but that was a given.
    I appreciate that threads require less attention/skill, so in this sense are safer/easier to use.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem is, IF a glued fitting fails, it fails completely and you have an open pipe. Threaded PVC fittings may crack, but it's rare that they fail completely and you have full flow of sea water coming in.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That's a sort of catch 22: if the glue doesn't hold, of course the fitting can fail completely.
    BUT, if the glue doesn't hold, that was a Mickey Mouse job, to start with.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Can hit this ball back and forth all day without any meaningful outcome. The rub with the glued fitting is this....you come upon it as a surveyor or owner or adjuster or whatever....you likely were not there when the fitting was glued, and you cannot certify the quality in which that joint was created.

Yes, I trust my own glued fitting, but if I'm at the store buying the fittings, I am buying Sched80 threaded fittings if I have the option. If I am forced to glue, I am planning to replace the glued fitting at my first reasonable opportunity.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yall have been hitting something back and forth.

But CaboFly (THE O P) did nip it in the bud and meaningful outcome came 4 days ago.

17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Your post bueno. The back and forth, no bueno.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Life is good brother.
    rc
    :)
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I also tend to wonder how acid washing the raw water side of the a/c systems would effect the pvc glue over time.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

17 years old glued schedule 80 on manifolds between two pumps and 3 chillers. No leaks, no issues. Flushed every year.