Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Abt Zero speed?

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by mike Hartley, Jun 13, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

I wish I could have a better response on how air works...but the fins completely sheared off, negates that being an issue..unfortunately...cheaper solutions are just that sometimes...this was more of a very poor fin design from my view and experience. Time to just find the better solution and company. ABT trac has alot of systems on Lazzaras.....just trying to decide on if the electric system makes better sense.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ABT is a solid, long established company. I would reach out to them, talk to their engineers, and see what they say. Also price both systems....as that will come into play.
  3. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

That is the plan...thanks Capt J...
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Hey, I was only answering a post where the OP said "Im even wondering since we have 4 if thats an option".
    Whether you already knew what I said or not, THAT is not the subject of this thread.
    Besides, your previous suggestion to just "glass the forward holes" was simplistic to say the least.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

no it s not simplistic. The actuators have to come off and the holes have to be glassed. These gyro gales compressed air stabs are not a good design which why they never caught on. What do you suggest doing? Leaving the old forward fins? There is a reason all boats in that size range use a single pair of fins...

Bottom line on a boat that size, the best solution is To install conventional hydraulic or electric and yes.... glass the holes.
  6. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

No worries on that..glassing in forward...im not sure the rear 2 are even in correct locations.....but im sure we will find the correct location.
    Appreciate it...
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don’t remember the exact layout of the 76. On the 80 and 84 the stabs are under the master floor, about a foot aft of the head
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

What was simplistic in your suggestion of glassing only the forward holes is the obvious implication to use the other two existing holes for a normal 2 fins equipment.
    Which is wrong for all the reasons I already explained.
    But didn't you say that you already knew all that?
  9. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

On the 76 ..they are in master...but further back...im thinking 1/3rd of the way from aft
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

whatever....
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They could be further aft since it s shorter. Trac will be able to confirm the best location. The biggest issue is having enough height between the hull and the floor which on the 84 prevents using the bigger actuators for zero speed
  12. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

So the 84 doesnt have zero speed?
  13. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Our aft stabilizers actually sit under the night table on one side and under the L couch on other side of master...
    Zero speed ones are what we are after
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We don’t. I talked to Trac a few years ago and they said the ones we have could be converted to zero speed but may not be as efficient as with the larger actuators which may not fit under the floor. Turned out most anchorages we use the Exumas are protected enough and we don’t really need zero speed so we didn’t looked into it further
  15. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Thanks Pascal....ive reached out to ABT...so looking into our options...see what works for us. The electrics seam like a really good way to go ..
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Given the location of the stabilizers, ask them how much noise they generate during zero speed (at anchor) of the electric stabilizers. If memory serves me right, when people have converted the 76'/80' Lazzara's to different stabilizers, they did away with the rear ones and utilized the location of the forward set.
  17. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Capt J......yes...one of my questions is where they actually get set...forward...rear..or in different location then where the gyro gales are
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

FFBC69FE-0713-4E1D-9C43-F56BCA03E9AA.png

FFBC69FE-0713-4E1D-9C43-F56BCA03E9AA.png The installation manual recommends installing them amidship
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Pascal, yes. On the 76' Lazzara the forward fins are midship, or even aft of midship, and the rear ones are not that far forward from the stern, around 10-15' from the starn is where the aft ones are.
  20. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

Im am told they get moved about 8 ft or so forward of the rear gyro gale ones...so yes seems more amidship...thanks for that Pascal and Capt J...