Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Abandoned car/dead battery considerations

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by SeaEric, Dec 13, 2013.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Let's get back on thread topic...
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What I am saying is. CDL is a commercial driver's license and they have different levels of licensing, from as low as only being able to drive a Limo or Taxi, to a tractor trailer with double and triple trailers and tankers, and then there's the hazmat one for delivering Petrol. The license he has is FOR VEHICLES is equivalent to the 1600 ton Master for SHIPS in level. Not that you can take a CDL and use it to run a ship, just like you cannot take a 1600 ton master and use it to run a tractor trailer. But it is a license required to drive a tractor trailer issued by the United States and you have to submit to many of the same requirements as a USCG license- background check, drug tests, physical, driving tests with the different vehicles. I threw it out there as an option to help the OP, and it's a guy that I can recommend 100% as being reliable and trustworthy and a good friend of mine since 1998, and someone that the OP's insurance company would have no issues covering. Unlike the wonderful crackhead suggestion someone else inferred.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Tough crowd here sometimes. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Today I spoke to a friend of mine who variously leaves cars scattered around the landscape. He asked: "You got triple A?" Yes, I have AAA Plus. I also have Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance (free). "So what's the problem? You show up in FLL and have a dead battery - call them! They'll be there in about 20 minutes and get you going. What the heck are you worried about?"

Good point.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Good point, but by far the worst advice for not having long term problems. Any vehicle sitting outside without being driven for 5 months at a time is the worst thing you can do for it's longevity.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Capt. J has the right idea. Besides the battery, you're dealing with tires and everything else right down to headliners. Never had a headliner drop before I had a car sitting under that florida sun for a few years. Contact a car transport company. They'll be insured with bonded workers (no CDL needed). Hire them to run the car 100 miles on the highway once a month. You'll get the engine, a/c and everything else running. You do that for your boat don't you ? (If you don't you should.) What does a boat sitting suffer that a car sitting doesn't?
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

So here's an abandoned car update: I blew in to town here in FLL Sat evening Dec 21st. 2013. Last visit and last start on the vehicle was on Sept 25th 2013 which included a new battery replacement. So it's been just about 3 months idle and the car started up just fine.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Maybe you were just due a new battery last time.

How old was the one that had failed previously?

About 25 yrs ago there was a guy in NZ who was an ex Cop who dabbled around in his garage with old batteries and made a batery that would reserve a portion of itself if say you left the lights on and never go flat.

It was going to be a world beater but for various reasons including allegations of untrue statements in the prospectus and insider trading have led to numerous legal and boardroom battles but the MD has managed to cling on through it all - seems he was made of sterner stuff than his ever lasting battery.

I remember when this thing was first announced, Mercedes were going to use them in all new cars - I guess they didn't make it as far as your model year or you wouldn't have had to start this thread.

If anyone is nterested in the convoluted story the system was called Powerbeat.
  8. weto

weto Senior Member

Put a battery switch at the negative cable side. There are a couple different types you can buy depending on how much room you have in either the knife type or knob/dial type. Disconnect when you park it. You WILL NOT harm the ECM. Easy Peasy !
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Barnacles are one of a few hundred other issues ... boats are not cars.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It's a tough place to be an inventor. Look what happened to Bruce Simpson about 10 years ago.
  11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The car is a 2005 model year which I have owned since new in Sept 2004. The battery that failed in Sept 2013 was not the original, although was the proper MB unit and had been installed by the dealer. My (feeble) memory says it was 5-ish years old. I guess it's time was up.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I only seem to get about 3 years out of my Ford Expedition batteries down here in South Florida. The summer heat takes it's toll on them, as well as the expedition uses a lot of juice on startup between the a/c kicking on and auto headlights. The origional went less than 3 years and I just replaced the Sears/Diehard Gold at the 3 year mark because it was still starting it, but down to 550cca from it's 700cca rating and it was easier to change it in Deka's parking lot than being stuck somewhere.