Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

78' Chris-Craft Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Carver57, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Not even close. It's a 40 year old aluminum boat. It's gone well past its design life span. If it had a Small Passenger Vessel Inspection Certificate already on it, it might be worth what they're asking if it passes survey. There is also more that goes wrong with aluminium over time than just corrosion, you also run into a few weld issues. The typical end life calculations for aluminium vessels are at 30 years.

If asking on this 108' 1983 Broward is $785k (and it can probably be bought for under $600k in this market), how are you figuring a decade older Chris Craft to be worth a million?
  2. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Maybe I should have been more clear. First off I know all about aluminum boat issues. Been there - doing that. My boat's 40 - This ones only 32. Also the boat truly is only worth what it will sell for. Or re-sell for after you buy it. However you still have to FEED it like it's a multi-million dollar yacht. So you can buy it for $230K. Then figure on spending $50-$100K per year to keep and maintain it. Maybe more. $5K here $10K there. Leaking rear main - no problem we can just rebuild in place for just $40K. Found a minor crack on a rib. Easy to fix $10K for the welder $10K to pull the interior and replace. Etc, etc, etc. Big boat = BIG money.
    You are buying into the repair cycle of a million dollar yacht. Doesn't matter if you pay $1 or $1mil.

Anybody out there with an 78' yacht care to tell how much they spend on average over 10 years?
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Ahhhh, gotcha now, yep, that I can agree with.
  4. q240z

q240z New Member

I had to chuckle when I saw Bertram mentioned. I'm guessing you could take any Roamer in the fleet and run it over a yellow buoy without having to wonder if the boat's gonna sink or not.

sry...couldn't resist. ;-)

I agree with Pascal, though, about the '70s Chris Craft interiors. They went waaaay too heavy into formica and other "maintenance free" surfaces. It's too bad they didn't just pull some of the interior guys off the old Constellation line and put 'em to work in the Roamer shop.
  5. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Yeah, the 70s and 80s weren't exactly the "golden years" when it came to styling, and that's not limited to Chris Craft....
  6. watjam

watjam New Member

Still going strong

Yes, the interiors started sliding downhill in the seventies - I've heard one call the styling "Unimaginative", and I don't disagree.
    But here we are 40+ years later spending big bucks (look at Homer) putting in
    interiors the carpenters back then could only dream about on their lunch-break. The fact that these things are still around is a testiment to (maybe not fine) pretty darn good boat building!
  7. q240z

q240z New Member

8. VidaAqua

VidaAqua New Member

I see the boat is still out there for sale. Did you find something that prevented you from moving forward? If so, please share. Any other insights from anyone on this boat?
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

According to the listing broker, as of last week there was an accepted offer and she was scheduled for survey.
  10. matowakan1

matowakan1 New Member

74ft Roamer

Guys,
    I am new to this forum and am considering a 74ft Roamer of the Derecktor type. She was either made in 1973 0r 1977 still checking that. She has been treated very poorly and will be a major restoration of love. I have recently done a 1980 410 Commander. Are there any photos of the craft currently under discussion? Any sage advice about a restoration on one of these?
    Very Respectfully
    Matowakan1
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Use the SEARCH button and you will find a lot.