Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Abeking

'74 Chris Craft Roamer Fuel Valves and Main Engine Strainers

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by grandpagary, Feb 21, 2010.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog New Member

I own Shelley and she is in Chattanooga.

I would like to see a couple of pics of your hydraulic mast system. I am in the process of rigging something like that.
  2. Thanks man... shes come long way and there is still PLENTY to do... this was todays work. ws

Attached Files:

3. grandpagary

grandpagary New Member

Hello Bill and Hedgehog,

Yeah, spent many months stripping and varnishing too. Salon, Pilot House(aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!), Stairwell, louvered doors (aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!), what seemed like a zillion trim pieces, rails, etc. etc. etc. I feel your pain! It does, however, eventually come to an end (sort of).

Hedgehog,

Don't know how to respond to two different people within a thread. I'll take some photos of the system but basically its just an AC electric motor, small hydraulic pump, toggle a ram attached to the deck under the flybridge coaming where the mast, seats and storage is located (does that make sense?) and of course to the mast. The hydraulic system raises the mast and it slowly free falls to the down position. I'll also send you a private message restating this in case you miss it. Congratulations on your purchase of "Shelley". She's a really nice Roamer and has been very well maintained. Recent engine overhauls too! You done good :)
  4. Time frame

YUP! My 36 Roamer took almost 2 years for a "medium" job in 1985 and been going on since then. No rest for the weary... Lemme see... quit drinking, gambling and chasing women. Been married three times and still have the same boat! ws
  5. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

You just don't get between a man and his boat.:D
  6. I remeber your boat when it was in Chicago a while back. I really liked the green with gold stripe! ws
  7. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog New Member

Gary,

Thanks for your response. I have something to add to the whole seacock deal. I thought that I would share it in the thread so we can all learn something.

First of all, make sure you have plugs and a mallet handy when fooling with these. Sure all surveyors like to pick on this but with good reason.

I am going over all the through hulls and seacocks when I pull it for bottom paint as well. We had one crack during the water trial and it would have probably sunk the boat. It was one of the main through hulls for the engine. Another had been repaired (this came out during the survey) in a way that I would view as temporary.

That is two busted through hulls in a boat that is a sister ship of yours. It will cost but I would recommend a close inspection/repair of all of them.

I have a few plugs and a mallet handy. Can anyone tell a novice where I can get my hands on a whole mess of plugs? I would not mind wiring a plug next to each through hull.

Oh yeah, I have a slight listing issue when full. Where is the shut off valve so I can pull from one tank to level it somewhat.

For bottom work, I talked to a guy in Goose Pond. I have his info. He seemed to have good knowledge but maybe a little high on the price. I have not made my mind up but heard good things about the folks on Pickwick too.

I have been happy with my dealings at Goose Pond so far and it is a 5 hour ride from Hale's Bar so I do like that.
  8. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog New Member

Very pretty work.

I would like to see some more pics of your work. I will shoot you a pm.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I seem to remember seeing bags of a few assorted sizes hanging up in places like Hopkins Carter and other Marine Stores.
  10. grandpagary

grandpagary New Member

Hello Bill,
    Good advice. The welded part of the through hulls look fine it just seems to be the main engine intake gate valves themselves that are the problem on this boat. I have one other seacock in the forward bilge that needs to be rebuilt / replaced. I've tried all kinds of techniques to free it up but it remains extremely stiff. I'd need tools to close it and that's not what you need if you need to close it quickly. The rest of the seacocks seem to be okay, they shut off the water and I can exercise them easily. Plugs are on my long, long, long, list of stuff to get. I'll look at some on the online boat parts places to see what I can find and get them ordered.
    The fuel valves, at least on this boat, are located just aft of the main engine through hulls in the bilge. This boat has two fuel filters located there with valves from the main engine feeds and a shut off valve between the two. Close the side you do not want to feed from and open the shut off valve. This should feed both engines from the same tank. I had hoped to be able to open the shut off valve and have the fuel equalize between the tanks via gravity feed but that didn't happen. Evidently you have to actually feed both engines out of the heavy side tank to even them up. BTW this boat also lists a little to port so maybe this is typical of these boats.
    Seems like everywhere you look on these old boats there is something else that needs to be fixed. Gets a little frustrating doesn't it?
  11. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog New Member

Thanks for the info.

My father has a Jefferson and the prior owner did not like the fuel delivery system so he custom built a manifold. It is pretty slick. You can feed fuel a number of ways and it also has a homemade filtration/polishing system. You can have it transfer fuel from one tank to another and filter it at the same time. Ahh the things I could do with some time on my hands.

Yes, it does get a little frustrating but fun. Now if I could only consolidate all the time and money that I have spent on other boat projects over the last 5 years and focus that on the Roamer.....well I would have one heck of a boat. Oh well, too bad it does not work out that way.
  12. artwork

artwork Member

Supplying fuel from one tank

Gary's explanation sounds like the system my 58 had too.

Remember about the return lines. I don't think my 58 had any selection on the return lines, especially if both tanks are full or nearly full.

If you draw both engines from one tank, but leave each engine returning fuel to it's 'normal' tank, it can over fill that tank and send fuel out the vents. It might be best to experiment with 1/2 full tanks and watch the fuel levels.
  13. grandpagary

grandpagary New Member

Artwork has a good point. I actually hadn't considered the return fuel. The idea of trying this out with half tanks should both answer the question and reduce the chances for a fuel spill.
    The modified fuel system sounds like a great idea and I'd love to have a fuel polishing system but that's a swamp I'll have to drain after I get the alligators down to around my ankles!
    Back to work - I just installed an new AC unit and my recirc pump quit. :( I hope it's the relay - the pump is new!