Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for JetForums

453 Silverton MY

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by joanneb, Aug 19, 2021.

1. joanneb

joanneb New Member

Hello, Any 453 Silverton owners out there? We currently own a 392 Silverton gas engines and love the design but would like to do more traveling down the east coast. Currently we stay in the Buzzards Bay Area off the east coast of Mass. I was wondering what the GPH fuel burn was at average speed. We normally run our 392 at 10 knots. Also possibly we may just move to a 39 MY with Diesel engines so any thoughts on the difference between the 453 and 39 fuel burn would be helpful. I love the layout of the 453 with the galley up surrounded by windows and the 3 staterooms. We plan on living aboard full time and the extra room would be nice. Thank you for any insight on the two models.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

10 kts is just about the worst speed for a 40 footer

Welcome to hydrodynamics 101. Hull speed. Roughly the sq root of LWL x 1.3 Exceed that and fuel burn goes up exponentially.

a 40 footer will have a hull speed of 7.5 to 8kts. Push beyond that and at 9kts your fuel burn will be double for just 12% more speed. 10kts? You re probably burning about 2.5 times the fuel you d burn at hull speed. Makes no sense plus you’re lugging your engines. May as well get on plane assuming those gassers can even get the boat on plane.