Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck

427's engine trouble

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by gravy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. gravy

gravy Member

Hello Oneiros,

Yes I work mostly by my self, but when I pulled the motor I had my 23 year old daughter help; she worked the crane. The boat is on blocks along side my garage, so it is very quick and easy for me to work on it a little at a time. If I get home from work early, I can get a lot done before my wife calls me in for dinner.
    Even though it's cold, I have a good cover on her, and a little space heater does wonders. Hopefully you'll get a lot done on your boat. I'll talk to ya soon.

-Gravy
  2. gravy

gravy Member

Watjam,

What size of tabs did you install
  3. watjam

watjam New Member

36 " Bennett's, plenty big enough. The upgrade rocker was worth it for auto - retract.
  4. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hello Gravy!
    I sure is good and able to have the boat home on the lot that I have and so good to see it every day now we have 50cm snow but once I start working on denvi to weld and replace the plates on the bottom I'll send in some pictures
  5. gravy

gravy Member

We here in Michigan don't have any snow yet but the temp has hit 2 degrees with wind chill of -24, so untill it warms up a little I'm not going to do much to boat
  6. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

ok, it might snow so late in the season, I thought that your winter is over now. I was planning what to do on our boat this year shall start in the late april
  7. gravy

gravy Member

Intake manifold exhaust cross-over

Winter won't end until March or April. I picked up my gaskets for my motor, and the exhaust cross-over holes aren't cut out in the gasket. So I was wondering... is the gasket strong enough to block the exhaust from going through the cross-over, or do I need to cut the gasket and install stainless steel?! Or should I put stainless steel on top of the gasket material?! I can cut the stainless steel to the shape of the manifold hole. Hopefully someone can give me an answer. Thanks.

Gravy
  8. gravy

gravy Member

I picked up my gaskets for my motor, and the exhaust cross-over holes aren't cut out in the gasket. So I was wondering... is the gasket strong enough to block the exhaust from going through the cross-over, or do I need to cut the gasket and install stainless steel?! Or should I put stainless steel on top of the gasket material?! I can cut the stainless steel to the shape of the manifold hole. Hopefully someone can give me an answer. Thanks.

Gravy
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember on LBCs there was a metal plate (thin tin) that went over the gasket material facing the head. On SBCs there was a tin plate with & without a Small hole that would restrict or block the exhaust x-over ports, captured and help in place by the gasket.
    If your gasket is the typical paper gasket, your missing a piece. If it's a synthetic gasket, it may be good to go.
    OR, does the new intake manifold even have the x-port? No worries then.
    ,rc
  10. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

This is the "bees knees" fix: Edelbrock 2105 Edelbrock Performer Manifolds for Ford

Make sure you get the non-EGR one, which doesn't have the exhaust crossover. I don't know why they call it EGR, since it's not, but that's Edelbrock's terminology.

If you want to just plug the hole, I have used tin but it only seems to last a few years. The gasket material itself, minus a metal plate, will blow out in no time. It sounds like you got the non-EGR style gasket.

If you don't want to buy the aluminum intake (25 lbs vs 85 for the original cast iron one!), I'd recommend cutting out the gasket material around the crossover port, leaving 1/8" or so all around. Then get thin stainless stock (butter knife or thickness guages work well) and trim them to fit the hole you cut in the gasket. Use high temp silicone to seal it up.

Good luck!
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are we water skiing yet?
  12. gravy

gravy Member

I got a call from my engine guy and he just got done firing over the motor and she ran great no back pressure in the crank case I'll be reinstalling her in a couple of weeks. But untill then I/ll be installing bennet trimtabs and putting a fresh coat of paint on the hull.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Don't use an aluminum intake on a raw water cooled motor in saltwater, it will live a very short life......
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would think that the EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

This system sounds like it is used to provide a hit spot in the inlet manifold below the carbs so in an automotive app when you stab the gas pedal and a het if liquid fuel is blasted down the throat having this hit spit helps with the vaporisation of the liquid fuel.

A lot if engines had a system to do this.

I remember seeing a few straight six engines that had a metal plate between the inlet and exhaust manifold, the latter being attached to the former by four longish bolts.

This plate had a gasket on either side that should have been replaced anytime major work was done on the engine - they were known as "hotspot gaskets "
  15. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

Good point, Capt J. I figured since he's in Michigan that wouldn't be an issue either way, but somebody on the coast could read the article and have trouble.

Kiwi, I always thought it was odd that Edelbrock uses the term non-EGR for the version that doesn't have a crossover. There's nothing EGR about it, but hey...I figure it's their manifold. :p

So, gravy, which repair route did you use on the manifold? New aluminum, used iron or the SS shim?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen gasoline aluminum intake manifolds (for chevy vortech motors and others), that have bronze water passages in them. I had one from PCM on the 350 vortech I had in a 18' Donzi classic a decade ago.