Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

3800 Open Center Windshield Motor Problem

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie New Member

My center windshield wiper motor failed. The plastic gear inside cracked. Marinco does not sell internal parts. The failed unit is #37282 (AFI-GM2) and is no longer available. #71182 (AFI 1.5) is a direct bolt in replacement according to Marinco. However Tiara says while it fits on the center vent window when open it does not allow the vent window to close as it is too wide and too deep. The #37281 is 7 3/4" long, 3 3/4" wide and 2 1/2" deep. The #71182 is 7 3/4" long, 4" wide, and 2 3/4" deep which makes it 1/4" too wide and deep to allow the center vent window to close.

My questions:

1. Does anyone know of a replacement motor model that will work?

2. Does anyone know where I might find a used or broken #37281? I only need the plastic gear. The motor and rest of the mechanism on mine are fine.

3. Does anyone know where I might find a new old stock #37281 motor unit?

4. Any other ideas?

This is frustrating. If I have to use the #71182 unit I will have to do some expensive fiberglass work and deepen the indentation below the center vent to allow it to fit. This seems to be a rather expensive solution to what should be a simple replacement. Tiara has not been able to provide a solution so far. I can't believe I am the first 3800 owner with this problem. The #37281 has been unavailable since at least 2010 if my research is accurate.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How bad is the gear. I had good results repairing a gear in a Ray-Line remote spot light last month. The things we have to do in South Georgia...
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Does the new part have the same gear?
  4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie New Member

Cracked Gear

Attached is a photo of the cracked gear. It started where the brass insert is located. I may take it to an electrical shop and see if they can epoxy it.

Also the gear in the larger replacement motor is different according to Marinco Tech Support.

Attached Files:

5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is in better shape than my project. I used West epoxy with some silica filler. check your mounting requirements but it looks like allot of area to pool up some glue.
    Lightly scratch up the area, clean with alcohol and give it a try.
    Wrap the diameter with a twist tie to help keep the loose teeth in place & ad some compression to that brass insert. Use a hobby knife or painters razor blade to clean up and reshape the gear or mating surface.

good luck
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie New Member

Wiper Gear

By the time I saw your reply I had done exactly that. I have it reinstalled and it works. A little noisy as I suspect the gear mesh is not perfect. Also I do not have the parking feature now so I will have to time my shut off to park the wiper. I think the contacts on the bottom of the gear are not making contact properly.

In the meantime I found a supplier on eBay who has a model #37295 for about $90.00 plus $49.00 shipping. $139.00. I checked with Marinco Tech support and they say it is the same as the GM-2 #37281. I have ordered it and it will be here a week from tomorrow. I will post here if it works. In the meantime the link to the eBay ad is if anyone wants to take a chance and order one your self now:

AFI 2000 Boat Windscreen Wiper Motor Sweep of 85 90 95 or 100 Degrees Park | eBay
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm a big fan of e-bay. We pick up allot of 32vdc stuff and are very happy. If this works as an exact replacement, you may want to order a spare or two. Even if it collects dust, you know it's an investment and a good inventory/support for the next owner.
    Spare inventory is a good concern when reselling. And you sleep with some less headaches .
    Keep us up,
    rc
  8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie New Member

If this works as I believe it will I will order a spare. Cheap insurance.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie New Member

New Wiper Motor Arrived

The #37295 motor arrived yesterday. 3 days was all it took from Great Britain.
    It is exactly the same as the #37281 and fit and works perfectly. I would recommend anyone with a Tiara 3800 buy one of these as a spare while they are still available from this supplier. Took 10 minutes to swap motors. A lot easier (and less expensive) than trying to repair a broken one.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Outstanding good news. Now stock your spares.

If your into commercial enterprise, Stock some more...
    You could help out allot of others....
    ,rc