Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Delta

37' Alum Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Jim Reed, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Eric, you're a great guy. Just want to make sure she is in your system so other people can check up on her. I invited one of her former owners (Jim Farmer) RE: "Farmers Daughter" on the boat a few weeks back, to have a few drinks with me. He showed up with a book he had written and dedicated an entire chapter to the boat. He's in his 80's and still loves her. I don't know, there is something about her that makes life a little easier when spend time around her. The Boat George is talking about can be restored the same way. They are very strong an durable and those lines can't be beat on any boat. I live here in the heart of Sea Ray Country. I was anchored out one day and the President of Sea Ray, Bob Reich, swam over to Copy Cat and told me that if Sea Ray didn't furnish him a boat that he would want a Chris Craft and Copy Cat is the pretties boat he has ever seen. Of course , I agreed with him. That 37' can be restored the same way and she will continue to give her new owners the same wonderful memories that she had in the past. I just can't understand why nobody wants her. I'll talk to Scott Lewis and get the serial number on "1st Choice." She is on the hard right now getting new engines and Bottom Paint. Scott Lewis and his son, Cooper have done a wonderful job with her. Have gone to a few Tennessee Football games, "Copy Cat" ran great had a super time but rather not talk about the games. Oh well, there's always next year.
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Would love to have a 41 Regal; just can't countenance 2 boats at one time.
    - E
  3. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I know what you mean.
  4. Markk

Markk New Member

Jim are you familiar with an aluminum 41 that was in your area a few years back and then came to Louisville? She's got Sea Ray gauges on her flybridge . Owners name is Jerry
  5. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I think that boat was named Stardust but I thought she went to Fla. Some idiot cut the top out of the superstructure above the head and installed a hatch.
  6. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

We have "Stardust IV" listed as a 1970 Regal 41 (AL) - located South Shore, LA.
    Former Roamer Club member (Dave) reported selling her to new owner & son in 2014.
    She had a FB; blue stripe; radar; no mast; and a "new" 70s CMD dash. May have installed "ridiculous" head hatch as an "emergency egress" if head fan failed :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    jreed1853 likes this.
  7. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

That sounds like her. Not a bad boat.
  8. Markk

Markk New Member

This one has no hatch fortunately ! 68 with blue stripes. But no name. Same owner for 20 years and they lived aboard7 if them. I don't have the hull number yet but looking at purchasing her but have a huge concern about a sagging salon roof. Back corners of the sliding door wall have sunk down about half an inch from rotted framework and steel weld failure it looks like due to rust from said water looking. Eric has anyone dealt with this in the group here that you know of ? Supposedly this boat was used as a demo for Lee Iacocca when CC tried to woo him come aboard in 68...he had some specific options unique to this I'm told
  9. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I love my 41. When I bought her I had to do some bottom work as well as replace the engines. As we know, these boats have some age on them and maintenance is the key. Since these are rare it's nice to know that you will be unique when you are out and about. I feel it's worth the effort.
  10. Markk

Markk New Member

Absolutely worth the effort ! Question is am I up for it now that I'm 4 years older than the boat ! This would be my 3rd classic chris craft. But never had aluminum before...
  11. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Every (EVERY) single boat is a compromise.
    As far as hull material is concerned, fiberglass ( REAL fiberglass) is the choice of millions; only, aluminum actually, is the finest choice (under 100' that is/scantlings being what they are). VERY expensive (today). CC made only 500 in 8086 alloy; very rare.
    Would cost, at minimum, $10K/ft.
    Seriously.
    True.
    [Here's one out of the archives - CC Roamers] sir.
    - E

Attached Files:

12. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I drove my jet ski past the boat yard this weekend and saw her just parked by the river bank. Even though she needs a major refit, the boat looked so classic just setting there. If I didn't have my 41' Roamer, I would take on the project.
  13. KyRoamer

KyRoamer New Member

Jim, are you talking about your '37?
  14. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Yes.
  15. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Sold the 37' Roamer to a able body captain who commits to restoring her. He is in the process now and I will post pictures of his progress. I know he is very qualified 'cause he has helped me with my 41. I just couldn't scrap her. I just couldn't. Much thanks to Cary for all his patience. This will be one more of these fine boats saved.
  16. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Cheer up George. I sold the boat to a very qualified guy who is going to restore her. Already have done a ton of work to her cabin and getting ready to pull the engines . He is going to let me help. Our goal is to make her the prettiest and finest Chris Craft on the Tenn. River chain, next to my 41' of course. LOL
  17. T Robertson

T Robertson New Member

My friend is looking at purchasing a late 60's 37 ft. Roamer for storage fees owing. Any idea where he can find the hull #?
  18. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Believe it or not, there were a few here. Haven't seen them in a while. I'll keep a look out. Things are really crazy. Building is going thru the roof and every marina has a huge waiting list. Even the houses that are for sale result in a biding war. A house up the street was for sale and the owner ended up getting 75,000. more than he asked for it.
  19. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Hull# is to be found atop the port engine stringer (etched in stone). There and possibly on engine hatch surround should it remain original.
    Afterwards we require full report, hull#/year/history - for the good of Roamer world.
    Email me at alloyed2sea at yahoo dot com for "List of Known Roamers" to appreciate entire history of the brand.
    Webmaster, CC Roamers
    - Eric
    "Tin Tonic"
    1967 CCR Riv 37' (AL)
    upload_2021-5-31_10-37-17.jpeg
  20. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

It is absolutely insane.
    Lumber, houses, cars & boats - all apparently in very short supply.
    WAT is going on???
    Insane.
    upload_2021-5-31_10-40-26.jpeg
    Last edited: May 31, 2021