Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Privacy Matters

3208's @ 375HP

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RossC, Jun 7, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you want reliable systems, brand will Be a factor. A big one…. It cost more to engineer and build good systems on a boat.

The big bayliners are fairly good boats but you re still going to have aluminum fuel tanks, ageing gel coat, etc.

why the 48’ limit? For $200k you can find some nice 53 Hatteras with reliable 8V71TIs, fiberglass fuel tanks, solid copper plumbing, better electrical etc some repowered examples may fall in your budget. Much more interior space and storage and very easy to handle thanks to the wide side decks and helm doors.
    Capt Ralph and chesapeake46 like this.
  2. RossC

RossC Member

Well that was disappointing. Another dock queen. 6” of growth on the bottom. Gel coat shot. Hasn’t seen a wash and polish for n years. Tired upholstery. Vintage electronics that didn’t work. Lots and f corrosion on the engine room. Grossly misrepresented by the broker. Guy parked beside it has been there 3 years and has never seen it leave dock. All of this for only $210k.
  3. RossC

RossC Member

Length isn't an issue...other than possibly have a hard time finding a slip. Bigger is harder. Air draft under 19' is the main concern, but I might have to cave on that, which means the loop is not an option.

There is a brokerage at the marina where the Bayliner is. They declined to list the Bayliner. I had a long chat with them today. They said there are a number of boats in the marina for sale, but they won't list any of them. They said some of them won't pass a survey and others are just neglected to the point that they aren't sellable at "average retail" prices without the owners spending some money on them. Owners won't spend any money but want all the money for the boat.

They had a 42' Sea Ray that failed survey. It was listed for $89K. They ended up selling it for $30K.

I saw a GB online with a single 3208. I called to inquire and they said it was in the yard getting the keel and engine cooling issues fixed. It had failed survey 3 times. It was taking on water through the keel. After the 3rd failure they were able to convince the owner that is was not sellable unless he spent some money on it.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

“Bigger is harder” ? Hell no

my 53 is easier to handle than a 30-40 footer even a twin…. Hell, guess what? The 110 MY I run is easier to handle then my 53….

it s not about LOA. It’s about layout, hull shape, mass and engine torque
    YachtForums and Capt Ralph like this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hatt and other mfg's had easy to drop arches, mast and other high items that would drop to make that (#$%%^&*^ing) Chicago bridge. Some of these were rather long in LOA.
    There out there, your just finding the wrong stuff lately.
    daydreamer4 likes this.
  6. RossC

RossC Member

I meant harder to find slip for. My marina has oodles of space for up to a 42, maybe 45 but limited on the larger slips.
  7. RossC

RossC Member

I'm getting closer. Seems like when I find the perfect boat in good condition and well maintained, it has not so desirable engines. Maybe that's the way to go, just know that a repower may be in the future and buy accordingly.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you are going to keep the boat awhile and put lots of hours on the engines, yes new power may be a great plan to ensure less troubled time down the river.
    Rebuilding a later engine may be an idea also. Sadly, you have not mentioned any later engines.

Recovering those funds may / mat-not be realized on your re-sell.
    The recreational boat market has been a wild ride these last few years. I expect the same for the next few years.
    Remember, it is recreational money, like going to a movie... It is not an investment.
  9. Kapn

Kapn Member

The 3208 engines were good engines. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to sell them for so long. The market agreed that they were good. Did builders put too much or too little engine in a boat? Possibly. Did some owners run the engines hard and neglect maintenance? Possibly. Did some owners run them gently and obsessively maintain them, even if they were high horsepower versions in trawlers that previously had smaller engines? Possibly.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The power choice in a new build may not be of science, engineering or dependability but rather what meets the needs of the hull and cost the hull mfg the lea$t.
    Cat makes a heck of a lot of engines. They warehouse them sky high all over the world.
    Your a boat builder? 100 engines can be on your door step in a few days.
    Back many years (and more), Other than Detroit, what else was competing against the 32xx's? Maybe some Cummins V8s?

So, IMO, it was not the power choice of the consumer, just the economical choice for the boat mfg.

Cat is not and has not built 31 or 32XX engines in a while and parts are getting scarce.

It follows reason when you start with a 150HP engine and start pulling 375 and 450HP from it, life expediency is suddenly shortened.
    Cat did make some mods the the later HP blocks (oil galleys), but it was still a poker hand; sometimes you got lucky,,, for a lil longer.

Then, years (years) later, used boat shoppers come along looking at used boats with these old engines. Some puke has changed the oil and spray painted the engine (aerosol overhaul) and their still running. That EOL poker hand has not been called yet.
    The drop out used car sales person promises great adventures.
    Does that boat shopper really want to play somebody else's poker hand? With near everything against him (her)?

Detroit's have these same limitations. I've just been tinkering on them since I was a kid. I luv the 71's, yet I still hate the 92's.

So my friend, I don't think the market agrees they were good, The market learned to live with them.
    As I have learned to live with my 71s.
    As most learned that what ever brand daddy's car was, was good also.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  11. RossC

RossC Member

Saw some with Cummins 480CE's which is evidently the 6CTA 8.3. These are 2000+ model boats. I've seen some comments regarding dropping valves which seems to be traced back to the classic issue of pumping too much HP from too little cubic inches. No idea if these are isolated cases or if this is a common problem. Usually people are only motivated to speak up when there are issues, so that's all you see. Could be thousands of happy customers for every one that has an issue, then some of them can be traced back to improper maintenance, even though the owner won't admit it.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 8.3 was a favorite even before that high pressure pump (Common rail). I don't think there is a more bomb proof engine than the 450HP QSC line.
    Of interest; Max HP was 650 but emissions restricted that back to 600HP, not because of any engine problems.

I don't think there are any valve dropping comments around here on the Cummins 8.3.
    I can tell you all about Yanmar and Cats dropping valves.
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I wouldn't hesitate over a boat having a Cat 3208 at 375HP or less. Any mechanic can work on one, and while they aren't sleeved, they're a good, reliable engine. That being said, don't abuse them. Survey the oil AFTER the sea trial. Cat and Cummins will have resale value as well, brand recognition and acceptance.
  14. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

The 480CE was sort of a Diamond-series 450C (6CTA) with added electronic controls of some sort.

I thought the lowest/original horsepower for the Quantum Series (QSC; is it still labelled 6CTA?) was 500... with 550 and 600-hp versions eventually appearing too. Seems to be one or both of the latter maybe had a higher WOT rating, i.e., higher than 2600.

We had 6CTA 8.3s in our previous boat... which was built just before Cummins introduced the QSCs. Our 450Cs seemed good, no issues. At the time, 480CEs were available, too, I guess as an option. I always thought QSC 500s would have been the cat's meow. Note sure a 550 or a 600 would have been worth any extra for that hull.

-Chris