Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Cross

1982 6/71 T inline 6 ,2 Stroke Diesel engine what's correct oil ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Racerx4772, Jul 25, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

South Bay strainers. That s what input on my Hatteras during the repower. They need to be cleaned by a diver but in this case they should be clean after just a month in the water.

racerx, no survey before purchase ?
  2. Racerx4772

Racerx4772 New Member

yes it was surveyed
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Pascal is asking because this should have be caught in survey.
  4. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

My DD 6-71 TIB engines have oil capacity listed as 28 quarts/ 7 Gallons. I use Shell Rotella T1 40 W and boat on northern Lake Michigan / Lake Huron.
    At 2100 rpm my engines are steady at 165 degrees over a 3 hr cruise.
    1988 Viking 44 Motor Yacht with dry weight of 40,000 #.
    Similar boat to MBevins.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Did the survey mention this massive overheating? I hope you got a price adjustment from the seller because this is not the typical temperature creep at high RPM. The survey should also describe the strainer setup as well as the shaft seal issues you mentioned in the other thread
  6. Racerx4772

Racerx4772 New Member

Thank you ! yes that's what I'm going to make sure is in there and the Starboard motor was at that temp while under way . Probably heat exchanger needs cleaning on port motor , going to have mechanic look at it .
  7. Dennis Elliot

Dennis Elliot New Member

Racerx4772.
    I have a 43 Viking DC / MY, and when I bought it used in 1990, it would overheat on the port engine. It turned out to be the exhaust riser. Viking install cast iron risers, and they can get rusty. The problem was it was not discovered by the engine survey before I bought the boat, because it seems that the rust particles sometimes get pulled up behind the diffuser, and sometimes only some of it does. Please get a water pressure gauge, and insert it in one of the zinc holes in the fuel cooler. It should only have a few pounds of PSI @ 2000RPM. Check it a few times, and maybe compare it to the other engine. At one point during my delivery trip, the pressure got so high that it blew the hose right off the pipe that connects to the exhaust.
    I was very upset with the surveyor because of this because he found no problem, but he explained to me how the rust will settle down at idle, and then be drawn up against the diffuser when throttling up. This made sense, as this was an Intracoastal trip, and constantly fast and slow going, and waiting for bridges. The engine was constantly running much hotter than the other one, but after waiting for one bridge for a while, I then got back up to speed and the hose came right off. It is worth checking. I replaced both risers with stainless steel ones and have never had another problem.
    Dennis
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Had the same problem and the same solution in 2016.

You can't believe how much rust and scale will accumulate in the mixing elbow.
    I removed the exhaust hose from the mixing elbow and the offset tube and could see all the crap laying on the water ports of the elbow.

If it is the elbow, don't good around trying to clean it, replace them both.
    Racerx4772 likes this.
  9. Racerx4772

Racerx4772 New Member

Thanks so much for the reply , and if you get a chance please send me a photo so i know what im looking at .
    I'm going to try the descaling method as it seems to be the most common cause and solution cost wise and go from there . Not to mention just required maintenance .
    I was hoping to enjoy the boat and just have some minor work to do but it is what it is and hope that the planed repairs allow me to get it reliable for years to come .
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

20140409_130302r.jpg 20140518_133805r2.jpg
    Unsure who you were asking for pictures from but here is a picture of an offset tube and one of a mixing elbow next to 2 old turbos.