Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

1974 68 foot Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by tim yonker, Jun 5, 2018.

1. tim yonker

tim yonker New Member

does anyone have any information how the roof is constructed in a this roamer over the solon. the roof stringer under the seating on the bridge has settled about an 1 1/2 . It appears the stringers are fiberglass over wood but not sure if the ceiling was the same?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The 74/75' alloy Houseboat Roamer I worked on was alloy plate backed with alloy angle. No glass or wood.
    Only wood was the strips for headliner seams or bulkheads coming up.
  3. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I ran a 1974 68' Roamer for years and pretty much went through the whole thing over that time. Everything from the deck up was fiberglass, and I seem to recall glassed roving in the equipment pod above the helm as the deck material on the flybridge. I don't recall seeing the stringers or what The flybridge helm seat was more or less over the salon/wheelhouse partition, which was part bulkhead and part sliding glass . Aren't there lights or speakers that you could pull from the overhead to get a look inside? Endoscopes that you can connect to your phone are cheap and really handy for that kind of exploration. Here's the one I ran: Second_Chance.jpg
    The partition bulkhead was just aft of the doors.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your picture is welcome. I worked on the houseboat model. Wheel house forward. Nothing like the model your picture shows.
  5. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Cannot quite place this star in the Roamer firmament - please explain further.
    All Roamers await.
    Patiently,
    Eric
    'Tin Tonic'

Attached Files:

6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Well, the official number was/is 556366, and the document details can be found here. It was named "Second Chance", at the time, and the owner is not listed in the document history, although the previous name is. The name, incidentally, was chosen because the owner's previous boat struck a container or something off of Point Conception. All hands were rescued by a cargo ship, affording all a "Second Chance".
    The yacht was very much original when I ran it, except a combination diesel and gasoline fuel tank had been added to the stern. The trim tabs were eliminated, and the extra water line was reported to add a half a knot to hull speed and improve fuel efficiency somewhat. Gens were upgraded to Northern Lights 20kw, and the original 12V71's had around 3500 hours, if memory serves. The only time the engines went into turbo range was when we sea trialed it to sell it. They burned and leaked very little oil, and didn't smoke much at cold start.
    There is a similar Roamer in Oxnard, California, #657655.
  7. TopPriority

TopPriority New Member

The boat "Right of Passage" is one of two 70' Roamers made. RAP - 70 - 0518. She was made in 1978 and in 1993 was lengthen to 78' 10" by Rybovich. I am the current owner and her name now is Stella Maris and is located in Little Rock AZ. She is moored righ next to her sister ship named Chief.
    chesapeake46 likes this.