Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

17m Jongert Ketch

Discussion in 'Jongert Yacht' started by Jason Lim, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Jason Lim

Jason Lim New Member

I tested a Jongert 17m ketch today and was surprised at the big turning radius and the low response from the steering. Is it possible to increase the size of the rudder and change the steering gear to a higher ratio, eg. using a powered steering system if there is a system that fits?
    Thanks for your response and advice.
    Jason Lim
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You can increase the size of everything. All it takes is money and some time.

Normally a lot of money and a little time when dealing with a yacht.

Are you sre the currently installed system is working properly? There is no air in the system, there is enough oil in the system?

I have been on 2 Jongerts and found them to be very well made yachts.
  3. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Is it a traditional line with a long keel? Yachts with a long keel are all very slow if you make a turnaround. We have a Finnclipper 35 in the family and this one has also a big radius ;)
  4. Jason Lim

Jason Lim New Member

Thanks Rene for your reply.
  5. Jason Lim

Jason Lim New Member

Thanks K1W1 for sharing your experience. Indeed it could be the hydraulics that slowed the turning of the steering system. Yes Jongert boats are beautiful and hence the decision to take a closer look with the view of acquiring it.