Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

New to Forum - Purchasing 1974 60 foot Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Sherrie, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

I won't have a name on her at all. I want to take off the name to do the ceremony on the way to the yard with her name already taken off at dock. Then her name will be painted on at the yard. Is it legal to run a boat without a name on her at all?
  2. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

I probably should start a thread in the Hatteras section regarding this question.

The boat has 6 windows that are cracked. The galley windows on both sides are cracked and the back angled windows in the salon are cracked. Is there a reason that someone knows of why these windows crack? Is that normal for a Hatteras? It is a 1974, in case I have not mentioned that before.
  3. Belle

Belle Member

Sherrie.......

Ok, all the Neptune stuff comes from dudes, but we know as women who is really in charge don't we? As a former teacher, (yeah guys that is what I was) I do feel an obligation to educate on this subject. While Neptune gets a lot of credit, his wonderful wife get's overlooked. Salacia is the personification of the calm and sunlit sea. She is a beautiful nymph who was a virgin before marriage to Neptune (ok, this is mythology so accept that). He sent a dolphin to persuade her to marry him and when she said yes he awarded the dolphin a place in the heavens, as the constellation Delphinus.

So, now while honoring Neptune may benefit, the true way is by honoring Salacia. But then most are not aware of that tradition or ceremony. While she does love Champagne, there's something she loves much more. So to honor her and protect the ship forever, making it a place of love, pleasure and much happiness for all times, love must be made in all areas of the ship, both inside and on each deck. This must be done within the first month after commissioning or recommissioning of the ship. Champagne may accompany but by following this ceremony the ship will always be a place of great love in your life. It may even lead to more boats in the form of dinghies or tenders.

Hope this helps bringing love and happiness to your boat. I'm sure you all know that if you keep Salacia happy, then Neptune will be as well.

Hope this wasn't too Salacious for anyone....
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The sliding ones, is there wiggle room up and down? Did anyone check the Flybridge deck for moisture? If the coring is full of moisture the additional weight and sagging of the deck could do that. Do you have pictures?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I've always luved the 58YF. Just seems to be a best-all-round lil ship.
    Shame I bang my head everywhere on them.
    Your picture looks cool also. Nice lens touch and angle.
  6. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

It is the fixed windows - both sides in the salon. Both windows of the galley on both sides. The master back window that looks out on the fishing deck. I will have the core checked for moisture when it is out. I have pictures from my daughters camera, but not on this computer. I need to get them uploaded to here.

Belle... Thanks for your info. But I don't believe I will be able to do the ceremony to Salacia, but I will address her during my ceremony to all. :rolleyes:

rcrapps, that is the listing picture of her, I got off the net.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cracking is usually from pressure.....so it could be the FB weight is putting pressure on them. But it could possibly be hardened Butyl and a freezing winter.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then visit area to area with happy thoughts. Positive vibes shared all thru your ship should keep Salacia appeased.
    Sometimes more festavious as Belle suggested but just keep the positive vibes flowing.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Years of quick hot/cold/hot/cold can drive the expansion / contraction of many different materials to an extra level of pressure to windows. Sometimes, a well worked ship just adds a bit more twist and pressure to the windows. Call your surveyor back and ask more of his thoughts on the windows.
    Were sure it is not a biggie, just an eyesore and expense to fix.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It might not even be too terribly expensive as the side windows on a Hatteras are just flat glass (not curved).
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm not up on Hatt window frames, serviced from the outside or does the whole frame come out, un-fastened from the inside?
    On Bertie, I have to remove interior trim & panels to unbolt the whole frames with glass, then the glass can be serviced.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Frames come out from the outside.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

cool
  14. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Ralph and I are tied up next week. Something to do with restraining orders..........

How about we do a virtual renaming party where interested Forum members all hoist a spirit of choice at a designated time and toast to your new ship and to many happy and safe adventures aboard her?
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hate it when that happens..
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now I like that idea.
  17. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

PERFECT!!!

It is not going to happen until March now. I am hauling her out in one month. Right now I am getting things done to her while she is on the dock. She is getting a new paint job along with numerous of other things taken care of. I have decided not to bring her up until April when it will be gorgeous along the TennTom. I am back in Tennessee now.

I will post a name change party in the Hatteras area and link it here. I would love to have as many as possible join in the celebration.

Namaste to All!
  18. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

Well, after being on a waiting list for almost 2 years, as I have been planning on moving onto a boat that long. My name has finally come up to be able to get into this technology college class. Talk about perfect timing. I signed up for the class in 2013 and was 64 on the waiting list at that time. I got my notice yesterday that I can begin the Diesel Technology course this month!

Yep, I am going to school to learn everything about diesel engines, electrical, hydraulics, fuel systems, heating and cooling, the list goes on and on. When I graduate I will be a certified diesel technician.

I want to know how to completely take care of my new home.

I am excited!

OH, I found out I will be the first woman to ever take the course at the college. Which surprises me. I will most likely be the oldest too. :D
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  19. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You should be both excited and commended. While the class won't make you an engineer or a professional, it sure will start you toward some working knowledge of engines and equip you to better communicate with mechanics. You'll learn the basics of routine maintenance and you'll learn how to recognize other issues. I think any knowledge one can accumulate is valuable. I also believe this, that one who immerses themselves into boating is one who enjoys it and remains. It sure in my mind identifies you as one serious about it as opposed to someone who is just buying a boat on a whim. Congratulations.
  20. Sherrie

Sherrie Member

Hey actually it is a complete course that lasts 2 years. I will learn how to completely take apart an engine and rebuild them. I will learn everything there is to know about diesel engines. I will also learn welding, electrical systems, heating and air systems. I will actually be a professional diesel mechanic/technician at the end of the course.