Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Lars Modin Design V

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, or a dedicated mast with proper lights, flag spreaders, etc.
    (I know it won't the super clean and simplistic, minimalistic Swedish way:cool:)
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes they were, kinda. The fake funnel was made by the same company that made domes for most Sat Com manufacturers to hide the internals not domes. The TV one was made so the Boss could watch Cricket anywhere in the world.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

How about a Delta 70 Carbon..?

Delta 70 Carbon.jpg
    OscarHolmberg and YachtForums like this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nice and clean lines as usual, but with the rendering being 1-dimensional, it is difficult to see get a sense of the whole vessel.
    3-D should be easy with today’s computer programs?
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, 3-D has always been easy, but if this profile took me a couple of hours to do, a 3-D would take a couple of months...
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow, months..
    Maybe hire some AI to shorten the time.:cool:
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

To be able to make a realistic 3D rendering, you need to build it from a number of 2D plans of everything, before you can add surface materials and make the final shape visible in 3D. I always start with a profile, then from above with a preliminary hull shape, then the GA, before I draw up every frame and wall including the fixed interiors, like galley and engine room so I am sure it is doable. After this it goes to a Naval Architect who is looking over the dynamics and helps out to make a surface model. Then we can start thinking of 3D-renderings if the project is not already sold to the first clients, which it usually is, so you all can see it in reality on the coming Yacht Shows...

D80 3D.png
  8. OscarHolmberg

OscarHolmberg New Member

Dear Lars, I have always admired your Delta designs ever since I was young. Especially the 40 AW, with the smaller semi flybridge. It seems as a wonderful and commanding place to drive the boat, sitting so far aft with so much of the vessel in front of you. When the 54 and 88 launched my father and I fell in love at first sight. I has been a goal of ours to acquire one. The efficiency is what I find truly fascinating of the vessel, being able to cruise at 30 knots burning 10.5 l/nm. Compared to other boats such as the Princess Y80 or San Lorenzo Sl78, where 30 knots is near the top speed and burning a LOT more fuel, and putting too much load on the engines. Those boats just don't seem to make sense when you compare them to the D88. Are there any considerations of a refresh of the 88? I find the boat still looking very up to date and not at all aged. The automotive comparison of Delta 88 I find is Volvo, especially the XC90. Apart from them both being Swedish, their fuel efficiency and overall design and concept are winning. Especially when stacked up against their competitors. In addition the idea of something to fill in the gap between the 54 and 88 is great. With the Princess selling so many of their Y72 and Fairline with her Squadron 68. I think buyers would greatly appreciate something different and unique, and especially the fuel efficiency and performance. I think a large flybridge would be a key feature of a such vessel. Thank you for creating a dream for my father and I, along with so many others.

Thanks,
    Oscar
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for all of your kind words, and I agree on the 40 WA, it is a dreamboat, especially in our archipelagos where the 54 and 88 sometimes are a little too big... Regarding the 70-footer above, I have not gone further with a GA, but I don't think it should come with a flybridge, simply because it will then almost replace the 80-footer. I think a better idea if you like a flybridge is the 88 with just two engines, it will cruise economically at any speed up to near 30 knots. The all carbon construction makes all the difference to other boats, the feeling is almost like flying... :)
    OscarHolmberg likes this.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Interesting Lars: Please school me on carbon fibre construction in boats, I had no idea it was a thing. (I am ignorant, not being a smart azz) :cool:
    In cars and airplanes CF is an expensive alternative to aluminum for several reasons,
    but boats are not all that weigh sensitive, except in racing applications.
    Weight is usually added to boats for stability and balance reasons.
    Carbon Fibre was also used to construct the hull of a recent deep sea submersible trying to visit the Titanic wreck site, with less than stellar results.
    (Against the advice of experts of course)
    So why do you include CF in your boats Lars?
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I seatrialed the 54 with Lars and I agree with his description, the hull feels as though it’s flying; riding high on the water. The carbon fiber build makes them light and responsive.
  12. OscarHolmberg

OscarHolmberg New Member

Thank you for your response Lars, I understand that an 88 with twins makes more sense. Like Norseman mentioned, I am also curious as to why so few yacht builders are going with carbon construction? Especially when there are so many positives with carbon. I find the pricing of a 54, 60, and 88 to be very competitive with other boats in their respective classes. The performance and efficiency are extraordinary. I see no other major reasons as to not use carbon in boats under, lets say, 28m. Your input would be greatly appreciated!:)
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Since I and my late cofounder of Delta first met in offshore racing, we knew that light boats are faster, so this has always been important for us. The smaller boats were hand laminated with carbon in the stringers to save weight in the fiberglass panels, but now when we are building with vacuum infusion it makes sense to use 100% carbon and vinylester. The materials are a lot more expensive, but you use less of them, so with the weight savings we think it is worth it. The speed gains are of course also the reason for the good fuel economy compared to other boats.

D80 cruising speed.jpeg
  14. OscarHolmberg

OscarHolmberg New Member

I have also wondered how many hulls of the 88 have been produced? Boat International notes 5 hulls were completed. Are there any in production at the moment? If so, are there any design changes? Are there any ideas about refreshing the design? Even though I find the design being so ahead of its time at launch, and has aged like fine wine. Below is one of my absolute favorite images of the Delta 88. The person on the flybridge also gives a great size reference, along with the hull "flying" above the water. upload_2023-12-14_14-15-53.jpeg
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There are no design changes to the 88 planned, but we have looked into a few possibilities since clients often have personal ideas of how they want a yacht. During the Covid two of the five we have built have come up for sale, which have put the demand for new on hold for a while. The owner of boat number one have recently had all engines rebuilt at Volvo Penta after extensive use and this boat is again on adventures far away. Another boat located in Vancouver just posted this picture;

Vancouver D80.png
  16. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I was going to post something like, "I've never seen a Delta88 here, I wonder where it's moored, I'd like to go have a look," and then yesterday it went by, with the reindeer on the bow, leaving False Creek.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We can now offer a new version of the Delta 88 with twin Volvo Penta IPS 1350 instead of triple, also without the Transformer platform with the added buoyancy as it will be lighter. Top speed is estimated to be just above 30 knots and cruising just below 30. As the LOA and of course also the price, will be less, the name will be Delta 78 Carbon...

Delta 78 Carbon G.jpg Delta 78 Carbon W.jpg Delta 78 Carbon.jpg
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

When browsing through my old computers I found this 130 m "CyberCat" from 2017! I don't remember if I have posted it here before, but it deserves to be seen again... Hi Elon..!

130 m CyberCat.jpg
    Maritna_ra and OscarHolmberg like this.
  19. OscarHolmberg

OscarHolmberg New Member

I recently found these images in my camera roll. Can't remember where in the world I got them from. Would love to hear the backstory
    upload_2024-4-24_17-31-43.jpeg upload_2024-4-24_17-35-24.jpeg
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This was the way we tested the first hull of the 80', we did the same with the 54 as well. We took a Delta 29 as a "cockpit" and connected it to the installed engines, and then we added weights to simulate different loads...

P1000821.jpg
    Kevin and OscarHolmberg like this.