Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights

Daytona fl to ny with a sportfish

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by 41 viking, Sep 11, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, my comment was in regards to the Fernandina beach to Charleston leg.....

I just did both North and South in a 20 knot boat from Baltimore. When I brought it South it was in December with really short days, we did make some darn good mileage though.

I can't tell you the last time I stopped at Coinjock. Since they raised the height of every bridge between Coinjock to Norfolk with the exception of just a couple, I've always been able to fly past it. Last time I stopped in Elizabeth City....boring town but the Marina owner was super nice with free washers and dryers AND golf carts, so we had fun and caught up on laundry. Stayed at Oriental on the way down......another first time in a long time.....but in a 25 knot boat I can make Beaufort to Norfolk in a day (running Pamlico).
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Personally whenever I ve run the ICW I ve enjoyed it, even dragging a 6 1/4 draft thru. If you have the time, which is was th case for me as owner was in no rush to get the boat "there", running the ditch at 10kts meant 3000 USG in fuel saved... And since I prefer anchoring and cooking there was no additional Marina and restaurant bills to worry about :) it's also less wear and tear on the boat

That said I also understand the benefits of running outside when y need to rack up the miles and the weather is good.

My advice to the origisnl poster or anyone considering the trip is that if you ve never done it and you re unlikely to have the chance to do it again, then run the ditch. Miami - Norfolk at 9 kts is about 10 t0 12 days... Add a couple of days up th Chesie (a stop at Annapolis is a must, anther day to cape may and then a straight shot to NY
  3. slipkid

slipkid New Member

I bought my boat in Cape May and ran it down to West palm the last week in October during tropical storm Dorian. No captain needed. LOL

Take your time. We didn't have time and the storm slowed us down but I wish we had taken two weeks to really see the area. It's beautiful and there are tons of cool places you could stop.
  4. pamibach

pamibach Member

where in NY are you planning on going?