Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

1988 Carver 3807 side window....

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by mrcaptainbob, Nov 8, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob New Member

Seems like somebody replaced one of the side windows. Found my on board shop vac filled with glass crumbles. The replacement is not a very good fit. This is for a 1988 Carver 3807 ac starboard side glass, second from the rear. I appreciate they took care of their issue, but I would like the correct fit and weather seal. Any suggestions on where I could find one?
  2. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Aah the infamous 3707 side window issue. I have 3807 and researched the window issue when I needed to replace the pullout sofa. That was they only way it would come out in one piece. Long story short, those windows are a pain to remove. Carver assembled them in the frame and then installed them in the opening.
    I asked Carver how to remove them. They told me to...get this....use a hydraulic Jack to spread the vertical opening of the fiberglass just enough to remove the pane. I thought there's no way I will do that. If someone replaced the pane, they probably made it slightly smaller to get it into the frame and I guess that's what you're talking about when you say it's not a good fit. If you come up with a better way, I'd like to know. Good luck.
  3. mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob New Member

Thanks, Thisisit. I'll look closer at that. I won't be doing anything until warmer weather springs. With all the issues this ship is having, I'm starting to have second thought about keeping it any longer.
  4. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

That's too bad. We've had our old gal 13 years. She's run like a top the whole time and she shines like she did the day she was launched. Of course, that comes to be with a lot of elbow grease. The 3807 was a timeless design.
  5. mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob New Member

Breaks my heart to say it. But it has a blown port engine, needs two bilge pumps, new service inlets on the transom and a few other issues. Like that window. I'm 73, wife stopped caring to go for well over a decade now, although the kids and grand kids use it some. The finances for something that's not used much is just not smart. I do love it, as you said, the timeless design. I fell in love with it the first time it was published. But, alas, all good things must come to an end. Breaks my heart.