Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Yanmar 6CXM - GTE2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by kev cribb, Jul 9, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kev cribb

kev cribb New Member

Hi All
    Looking for some advice about the above engine. basically looking at a boat 2002 portofino 46 with twin yanmar 6CXM - GTE2 engines in. Engine hours are high 3400 but it has had regular maintenance.
    I have never had a yanmar engined boat. Yes a generator and that seemed good but this is a different fish.
    Can anyone tell me the truth good and bad and any thing I should look for or be aware of. honestly anything that can help me. Thoughts and all ,
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Google the engine model and have a read, there are as few intercooler issues reported. The Yanmar 440's gave a bad run with the two valve heads so if offered a boat with those just say thanks but no thanks
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  3. kev cribb

kev cribb New Member

Hi what about the 434 hp version which I think mine might be. Did they have the valve issue as well
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

kev cribb likes this.
  5. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi Kev, we have the 465 hp versions in a 2001, 43 Ocean, that we have owned since 2016and so far have been happy with them. The engines are not the typical high revving yanmars, with a max RPM of 2800 and a cruise of 2400 rpm. The cooling system appears to be quire robust, just has about a dozen anodes, so keep in top of those.
    kev cribb likes this.