Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

YachtPlus

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by Yacht News, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

By now we all know the Foster+Parters designed "Ocean Emerald" built for the fractional ownership concept company Yacht Plus. The now famous first vessel has been turning heads where she visits. It isn't news to you either that she will not be the first in this series to be built and with that said, the second hull has been launched.

Her name is "Ocean Pearl" and has the same basic paint job as her sister but the domes are grey and I think she has a fine red pinstripe along her hull. A third vessel will be soon launched for May 2010 to be called "Ocean Sapphire".

Ocean Pearl
    Ocean Emerald

OP.jpg

yacht1.jpg
  2. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I think that fine red pinstripe is a reflection of the dock material.
  3. Yacht News

I think you are right? The reflection of the red carpet leading to the yacht, but it does look like a pinstripe atfirst glance.
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Simply attrocious.
    KiwiRob likes this.
  5. Yacht News

Count on you to say that! Not surprised! ;)
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Blind Spot?

Has anyone ever been on one of these things? It looks as if the range of visibility from the bridge would be atrocious.
  7. Yacht News

Ken, here is the deck plan of the Upper and Sun of the YachtPlus 40 model. As you can clearly see from the bridge on the Upper the view must be minimal, like sailing from inside a cave.

upper-deck-img.jpg
    YachtPlus
  8. Yacht News

9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Is that deck area around the fishbo...ah..wheelhouse open to the guests. Hope that captain is very well paid. Me thinks he earns every dime.
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

At first I really didn't care for these boats, now I actually despise them. They are the embodiment of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."
  11. JustMag

JustMag Member

Couldn't agree more...........they have taken "ugly" to a whole new level.
  12. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It's pretty much a toss up between those and car carriers for "Ugliest Thing on the Water". I see no redeeming quality in these yachts though.
  13. nilo

nilo Senior Member

we cannot argue tastes, but we should argue practicality and safety

I had been on this boat in Monaco last year. As I said in the topic, I would not dare to argue tastes, because every taste deserve respect, regardless of how beautiful or ugly it may seems to some eyes. We have a saying in Turkish "the chick of crow is the most beautiful in her mother's eyes".

However, I would take the liberty to criticize the issues related with safety and practicality.

1- There is no clear view from the pilot house, indeed it is like a cave, and I wonder how they have managed to get an acceptance from the class.
    2- Due to hull and superstructure form the space inside the boat is much smaller than you would find on a 40 meter yacht;
    3- There were glass stairs with sharp stainless edges, definitely will cut flash and will be a trap at sea, very slippery. Boat is full of sharp corners.
    4- When you are ascending to the fly bridge, you bump your head to the side of the stairs, because they are slopping inward;
    5- There is no view out from the fly bridge settee; you just have the look of the arch, because the bulwark is just too high. The designer has not sat in the settee;
    6- Stairs outside the boat take too much space.

As a resume, the boat is designed to have a visual attraction for those who do not go to sea, but it is a very poor design and I did not appreciate the build quality as well.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

15. Yacht News

Nilo, every thing you have said flies in the face of what Mr. Foster was saying about the boat in the video I watched of it on the YachtPlus website. Some people say selfpraise is no praise! You have been on the boat and given your constructive criticism and it is nice to have that contrasting comparison. However, in this case of these models things are about marketing.
  16. Yacht News

LOL! at your comment, even though I never saw it until now and as we say down here in Barbados, Money makes the mare fly!
  17. Yacht News

What ever happened with the other units of this 'egg-shaped' yacht series? I believe only three were built if I remember correctly? "Ocean Emerald", "Ocean Pearl" and "Ocean Sapphire"? I'm sure they were to be more hulls from this series. What happened? Economic crisis?
  18. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Common sense? heheheh sorry couldnt resist :p

I must have come across at least 2 of these as I was unaware there were 3! (how stupid of me), and I kept seeing it last year and thinking "**** she's all over"...
  19. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

You are right, only three of the hulls were built. As I understand it a 1/8 fractional share is available on Emerald and there is an entire sistership avaliable for sale for around 9M Euros. Apparently the luster of the design or of the fractional program or both have faded a bit over time.

Actually I am a long time fan of the Foster design. Architecturally I think they are strikingly beautiful. From the videos and shots I have seen of them on the water they all look stunning as they cut through the waves. However, on second thought, I can see how the starkness of the interiors could become very boring after a week or longer on board.

It seems the coolness and WOW factor has worn off for some of the fractional owners as well.
  20. Yacht News

I beg to differ on them being strikingly beautiful but that is a subjective notion. The interiors weren't THAT bad you know but could get a little cold on you though I would imagine.