Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Privacy Matters Click for JetForums

Yacht Forums Survey...?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Is this survey spam or actually contracted for by Yacht Forums...?

Yachtforums.com survey (hyperlink removed)

If Spam, how to kill it? :rolleyes:
  2. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Looks like spam to me. If you remove everything except for the main url, you get a survey for google.

Did you get it through email?
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks to Lars for quickly deleting this thread. I have reinstated, but with the link removed. Dag, where did you get this? I'd like to have my attorney send them a letter because I would NEVER have approved this!
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Where did I get this....?

Comes automatically every time I open Yacht Forums.

Guess I am just lucky ;)
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Then you have some adware (malware) of some sort attached, Norseman? Are you not having pop ups or such on other sites? I'd recommend a virus scan but you probably need spyware cleaning as well, depending on your scanning software.

What web browser are you using? Go to extensions and remove any you don't recognize or need.
  6. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

definitely disable browser extensions

i would also download, update, then run a full scan with each of the following.

Kaspersky's TDSS Killer

Malwarebytes

SuperAntiSpyware

the combination of those three will clean it up most adware or malware infections.
  7. olderboater

And install a good, complete security suite. We use Norton but there are many excellent ones out there.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye mate, I run Norton every day but it sure did not pick up this cr@p.
    Also got an active pop-up blocker but again, some evil malware must have snuck in there un-detected.
    At first I started the survey, looked pretty "official", Then got suspicious :rolleyes:

Will do a nuclear cleaning and hopefully get read of it.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hate it when that happens.:D
  10. olderboater

Run it every day? Or run it all the time? What version of Norton? I run the complete Norton 360 package full time.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Rut it all the time and scan every day..Jeez, tough crowd.:D

Some security suite, comes free with Comcast cable internet.

They do brag how good it is, but looks like it did not stop whatever is lurking in the 'puter and launching "surveys" left and right.

Now doing a deep clean using some of the programs suggested by lovinlifenc.

We shall see what will be caught in the net :rolleyes:

No idea what a "Browser Extension" is, but will Google it and see how to block, thx.
  12. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

There are many factors at play in maintaining a secure system.

PC Mag did a lab evaluation of most of them recently, "The Best Antivirus for 2014", and while they give Norton a high ranking, their evaluation is completely subjective to the machine being used a certain way or in a certain setting.

For instance, I would consider most of us to be "web users" versus a corporate user. When you drill down into the tested categories, you see that AVAST does the best job at detecting malicious links, which is where most "web users" become infected.

- A frequently updated Antivirus program that covers the types of vulnerabilities that you subject yourself to is key. Make sure that the definitions are updated daily and configure it to do a full scan of your system at least once a week.

- Supplement this with a separate malware program that does real time monitoring, such as Malwarebytes. With many of these tools, the free version will only have certain functions.. i.e. you will need to subscribe to the paid version in order to have access to the real time monitoring, and scheduled scan features. Set the program to do a full scan at least once a week and make sure it is configured to update the definitions at least once a day.
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ah, I always wondered who the other member of Fur Hats & Fannies.com was?

Dag, I think we need 'that' talk.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thanks Mr. lovinlifenc:

I have now ran the Malwarebytes program and the Super Spyware program: They picked up more threats and cr@p than God, despite Norton saying there ain't no threat my computer :rolleyes:

Also paid to upgrade Malwarebytes to the Pro version and set a daily schedule, now I can sleep good and you earned yourself a Duffy ride with cold beers and dancing girls, see Duffy thread for details..:D

Uh, not me: I Googled and "Fur Hats and Fannies" and nothing good came out of it.
    In fact I left the fur hats back in Norway when I emigrated, but plenty fannies in Florida. ;)

Yes Dad, anytime....:D
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Out of curiosity, which browser are you using to browser YF when you get this pop-up survey? And, if you view the forums with a different browser do you get the same pop-up?
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Default Browser is Explorer.
    Tried a few others now and then, Firefox and such, but grew up with Explorer, too slow to switch.:rolleyes: