Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Burger

yacht engineer vs. cargo ship engineer

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by dalm, Jan 14, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dalm

dalm Guest

So I am from Romania and I have Chief Engineer licence on ship powered by me of 3000 kw or more.I have 26 month experience as 3rd engineer and 25 months experience as 2nd engineer on cargo ships.There is a possibility to sail on the yacht?What I have to do to obtain yacht engineer license?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Licensing is the same. The challenges are two fold. First, is learning very different equipment. Second, is learning a very different work environment. Typically what that means from a practical standpoint is starting in a position lower than your current licensing or training to learn your way around.

Now, the key to success. Don't compare the two jobs. Don't talk about what cargo ships were like or how much tougher those jobs were or how those are real engineers not like yacht engineers who have it tough. Respect that the two jobs are different but one isn't superior to the other and you have much to learn about your new job.
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

You wouldn't have to do anything license wise as your commercial license will suffice for working aboard a yacht as long as your within your kw and tonnage limits. Romania is a STCW white list country so your fine on that count.
  4. dalm

dalm Guest

Thank you for your answer.One more question,which is the correspondent of my license with (Y1,Y2,Y3,Y4 licenses)?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

None , Your commercial chiefs ticket is superior to any Y Ticket.