Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

yacht crew video....the dark side

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by RobertaGill, Jul 29, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RobertaGill

RobertaGill New Member

So I found this yacht stew on you tube complaining about her job and the industry what is your take and thoughts on her video's?....if you go to youtube and type in yachtie you will find her video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9DEwlvgZ74
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The girl in the video has probably just made the dumbest career move possible.

I am not a stewardess and am not aware of such discrimination against Americans.

It is especially hard to comprehend that this is the situation on American boats in the US.

Does anyone else who posts here have the same experiences as this girl in the video?
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

She comes across as if yachting owes her a job.

Not very becoming.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I agree totally with the preceding posts, but she may be speaking the truth. I think that more than discrimination though it may be more a matter of cultures and of people enjoying the accents and mannerisms. During the 40's through the 70's the Irish were sought after for the service positions. During the late 60's through the 70's it was Brits, then Aussies and S.A.'s. Next year it may be Bostonians or southern belles. It may also have to do with Americans not being inclined toward the service industries in general. Growing up I admired valets, gentlemen's gentlemen, chauffeurs and butlers. These positions are out of fashion today. Many people don't understand the enjoyment I feel being of service and the pride I feel doing it well. The current American culture leads us more toward MBA's than service and that may lead employers toward other shores .
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I am not anti-American girls (having spent most of my life working/living/dating them) but in 20 years I have never taken one on as a sterwardess.

I've employed them from Canada, Oz, NZ, SA, France, Italy, Britain, Brazil, Scandia. even St.Helena Island but never an American. Sorry but their attitude is just not correct for a Superyacht. Do'nt ask me why but it just does not work.

Maybe NYCAPT is right when he says they have a different mindset. Owners and charterers can get annoyed by constant 'perkiness' and 'chatty' from crew, just get on with the job with a bit of dignity and diligence.

Cheers
    Fish

Ex-Head Steward (10 years)
  6. Starrider

Starrider New Member

Wow, the lady in the video certainly has some serious problems...most of them personal I think. Being a Yachtmaster and a South African, I feel that her comments are completely unfounded. Everyone working in the yachting industry needs the same qualifications, experience and dedication to fill a certain post. It is not, and should not be a matter of what nationality fits the profile best. All yachting crew and other seagoing variants are classified as professionals, and the harsh and sometimes stressfull conditions onboard a vessel seperates us from our shore based counterparts. Having served as a Master at Arms in the South African Navy and a seagoing career of 20 yrs, I have to admit that it is the gereral mindset of the South Africans to be ruthlessly dedicated, obedient and well disciplined, its very "us"! Sure, there are those that certainly dont fall into that catagory, but one sees that in most countries. So Miss Stewardess, I think you should have a look in the mirror and ask yourself.."What can I do for the people" NOT " What can the people do for me. Loose the Diner Waitress image, get off your butt and do you job like a proffesional, and do not waste your time on forums like this and Youtube, talking down foreigners that are more efficient and dedicated than you are. You might just find that selling fries at you local Mac Donalds outlet is in fact your calling in life.
  7. balboa

balboa Guest

I think this girl didn't make a smart career move but she probably already came to the conclusion that a job in this industry doesn't fit her.

But from what I've read and heard I can imagine she has had these experiences.

I find the remark of Fish interesting:

" Sorry but their attitude is just not correct for a Superyacht. Don't ask me why but it just does not work"

What exactly is that 'attitude that is required'? To be kind of like an invisible servant and all that? I'm curious.

As to service cultures in the US compared to Europe (where I'm from), my impression from many visits to the US is that service in the US is a lot better than in Europe, especially in the non-high-end restaurants and hotels. So, that would suggest there's a breeding ground for US service personnel.

Maybe Europeans and certainly South Africans, land of 'apartheid' can deal better with class differences that exist on super yachts where the lower ranks of the crew have to be some kind of sub-human specie that's there to keep their mouth shut unless spoken too.

Maybe that's what the guests demand but well, I can see why an average American would not feel comfortable in such a situation.

And I wonder if this 'silence' is also a requirement when the guests are American which might be less class concious..

Look forward to response.
  8. Starrider

Starrider New Member

This whole topic is not about what attitude is required in the yachting industry, its about being professional and efficient in your job and it is not only applicable to the yacht industry, but to everything else out there. If one chooses to sit and complain and critisize others for your misfortunes, then certainly your career will reflect that attitude. This is the attitude that Fish and myself are referring to. During my 22yr career in the navy, I have seen many disillusioned and negative sailors onboard. Their negativity stems from the same old problems that one gets in all walks of life..small salary, no career prospects, not enough time off etc. It is up to us as leaders to help crew members address these issues by giving them guidance, advise and to motivate them. The old saying still goes..You can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink. Like Capt Kilbride said, the yachting industry does not owe her anything. Can you imagine a person like this trying to work on the Stock Market, or be a surgeon...no, because like all other industries it requires dedication, commitment and above all professionalism.

Secondly, lets not make this an political issue..especially the Apartheid part. This has absolutely nothing to do with it. We can sit here all day and point fingers at each other about our own country's dark pasts(especially the US & Britain and lately Israel), so lets not go there.
  9. balboa

balboa Guest

Good points starrider. I certainly agree with your observation that management has a task to keep crew motivated. It's a fact that society changes and younger people are not willing to make the 'sacrifices' we found normal 20 years ago or accept a somewhat old fashioned status -quo on board. Managers (on ship or ashore) face the challenge to get the job done with the same quality standards even if the staff is not 'what is used to be'.

As to 'apartheid' I certainly don't want to make this political or make any judgement on the system; I've been in many countries in Africa and know that then and now the average black was better off then economically. A fact that was just in the news...
  10. nilo

nilo Senior Member

right personality for the right position

I would like to bring a slightly different perspective to this good discussion. Although every person has his or her own personal attitudes, human resource people have developed methodologies to find the right character to the position that needs filling. I am familiar with a system call predictive index. The system categorize the personalities according to certain parameters. You first analyze the position you would need to fill. Then there is a simple survey given to the person. If his character fits to the position then you employ the person.

We as individuals have our specific personalities and we need to fulfill things in our life to satisfy those desires triggered by our character. For example, if one is a dominant and competitive character he would always want to do thing as he sees right and we would want to take decision, otherwise he will not feel good.

Such a character will not be happy in serving others, as he or she needs to adopt and carry out what is asked from him or her. Therefore, if you employ a personality who is not fund of serving, then you will end with a situation where the person will not be happy, hence the service provided also not up to the expectation.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I remember those tests from many years ago. Insurance companies and banks like them for producing cookie-cutter little trolls. Personally I prefer to look a person in the eye and talk with them, especially since a yacht needs a very few individuals with personalities suitable to their individual positions and the remainder of the crew.
  12. strat57

strat57 Member

After watching the video, It appears to me as though she's reading from a script or notes..... Hmmm!?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Of course she is reading her speech. What, do you think that she's a professional speech giver like a politician? Oh wait, they read their speeches also, but most have learned to look at the camera while reading. That's much ado about nothing. I hate to blow the adlib image, but the late night talk show hosts and the news anchors us teleprompters mounted in close line with the camera. Even Jay Leno can't remember his monologue.:rolleyes:
  14. strat57

strat57 Member

You're right.... she not a professional. Nor is she a news anchor or a "Jay Leno" type trying to entertain.

What part of it escapes you that her entire diatribe loses it's candidness, sincerity, and passion over something she's supposed to have issue with?

Plus, do I need to point out the fact she seems to stumble around and also repeats herself on several points.... even with notes! In all honesty her "delivery" totally defeats any point she may be trying to convey. That alone may be the reason she's finding difficulty with her employment status.

Just a thought there NYCAP123.....

BTW, NYCAP123.... your brash attitude and sarcasm are again unwarranted. I haven't been here long as a member, but this is the second thread I've attempted to participate in where you've displayed the same demeanor towards me as well as others.

I'll go out on a limb here and make the assumption you're in the "service" side of this industry since your screen name and some of your posting might suggest. If that's the case, is it beyond the norm to expect you to display a touch of restraint or diplomacy regarding your attitude? Cynicism is certainly not a virtue I'd be proud of displaying on an international forum.

In all honesty it's people like you who take any enjoyment out of coming to a forum such as this. Oh well.... either way, it's something best left up to the moderators of this forum to deal with.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Strat... i guess you missed the New Yorker part of his user name!

(said tongue in cheek as an ex Parisian... and frankly I dont' know who's worst... parisians or new yorkers :) )
  16. strat57

strat57 Member

;) Pascal.... No, his choice of residency wasn't lost on me! :) Heck, I've dealt with quite a few "New Yorkers" during the course of business! Even actually enjoyed that different kind of "persona" they sometimes tend to display.

However, being obnoxious and/or contemptible is simply inexcusable in any social surrounding or medium of communication.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely NYers. LOL. We talk straight, but not because we think we're better than anyone. We just have a low tolerance for BS.

You're absolutely right that she is not a professional of nor suited for the big yacht industry (which is what the thread was about) nor as a commentator. She's a kid with a gripe and a big mouth. No more/no less. The point of the thread is that there is a way to act when you work the big yachts, and some people just aren't suited for it. I could never do it. I'm real quick to tell a person to stick it and I don't care who they are. That's why I stay independent and deal with the smaller boats, mainly teaching and transporting and only taking on certain clients that I choose. I'm very good at what I do, but I'm not the right person for every job. Cynical? Probably, but isn't that exactly what you were being? I am sarcastic:rolleyes: and have a dry sense of humor. I'm sorry if you don't like it. I'll try to be more sensitive when responding to your posts, because I enjoy and learn from everyone's point of view even when I don't agree with them or personally like their style.
  18. strat57

strat57 Member

Employing anyone to cruise on a yacht must be done with a potential employees "attitude" at the forefront of your decisions. This isn't something done lightly. Certainly, utilizing a personal assistant to "screen" potential applicants is the easiest if possible. Add in one-on-one personal interviews with the final list of candidates may be in an owners best interest. Though it may be tough to work out scheduling this.... in the long run the potential benefits should be considered. Especially if you're trying to avoid employee turnover.

Obviously these people will be exposed to your daily personal life in a very small social "microcosm". If some degree of trust and comfort can not be established during the interview process, it's certainly not worth dealing with a "disgruntled" employee when you're underway.

As far as any difference in attitude between potential employees of different cultural, regional, or national origin..... this thread will benefit some owner in making a decision. We certainly have two examples displayed regarding that "American" attitude and why some "prefer" being independent.
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Strat and NYCAP, I've edited both your posts (#17 & #18). There's no need for differences of opinions to turn to personal attacks. What you posted that is relevant to the topic has been left for further discussion.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you, and may I say that I agree totally with Strat57's last post. As stated earlier Americans for many years (and this is only a generalization) have been reared with the idea and the attitude to be the star (even if they may not be qualified) and not the supporting staff. I remember seeing this spot on TV about a 16 year old girl who quit school to be a "Diva". True stuff. Her ambition in life was to be a celebrity, never mind the facts that she had no known talents or accomplishments. I think that folks in America (and maybe even in NY:rolleyes: ) could stand to teach their kids a little more about humility. People can be proud of doing even the lowliest of jobs. Without a good stew there will be no guests. Without guests there may not be a yacht purchased. Without a yacht there's no work for the engineer or captain. Too often people seek the job they want with no regard for what they are geared to.