Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

X-changer oil change system

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jnicholas, Feb 5, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Started annual maintenance last week on generator. Pump system pulled out used oil without a problem. Switched to pump oil back in and it would not catch a prime.

opened up impeller and found three of tangs missing. I found one but two are not in the housing.

so is it possible that they passed though the large hose into the discharged used oil?

So when pump was reversed to refill the generator no oil was delivered. So do you think it is safe to say the tangs are blocking the hose, or with three tangs missing did it not have the ability to pump the oil

changing the hose to the generator will be a giant pain.

should I disconnect from the generator and try to flush them out with new oil?

any suggestions are appreciated
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I would put in a new impeller disconnect the hose where you can hopefully at the generator save some old oil and flush it that way through a screen of some sort to see if it comes out ;otherwise I really wouldn’t worry about it your oil filter will catch those teeny impeller vanes.
    If there is a blockage from the old impeller it’s most likely at the valve right on the unit where the hose and the impeller connects to the Selector valve.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you still have the used oil you drained? Check it for the impellers. Chances are they went out with the used oil. could always take the hose off at the generator and pump a gallon or two of oil into a clean bucket through the hose without changing the hose. Or they might've gotten caught at the fitting on the generator the hose attaches to.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Although I’ve never taken one completely apart I bet you there’s a screen in there to capture the old impellers and your oil exchange pump probably right after the impeller somewhere in the fittings would be my guess
  5. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Thanks for tips. No I don’t have the used oil. I was too efficient this time and dumped it right away. At that time I did not pay attention to debris possibly coming out

I went back a week later but oil had been removed from marina so the screen on barrel was clean.

I think I’ll start with dis connecting at generator and see if oil will pump into bucket with new impeller.
  6. Phil Martin

Phil Martin New Member

I am having trouble locating replacement impeller and gasket. Does anyone know where these can be purchased?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Try this. Phone number on the bottom.
    http://x-change-r.com/form.htm

You can also contact Depco Pump for cross referenced impellers and get going also.
    http://depcopump.com/contactus.php

After years of getting my asp bit by rubber impeller or vane oil pumps, all of my portable and built-in fuel and oil pumps are now gear/star pumps. Usually Oberdorfer direct drive units.
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I got mine from Grainger.
    Not sure of the Grainger part number, but they have them . Look for 12volt exchange/ transfer pumps , find your pump and trace the replacement impeller.
    I believe Defender marine supply has them to.
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Hey I found the Grainger/Dayton part number ;
    5UXN2

it fits my exchanger pump.
    Not sure if we have the same unit.

Cones with two impellers and gaskets.