Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

WTB: Icom M802 HF SSB Radio

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by niftyc, Mar 10, 2021.

1. niftyc

niftyc New Member

I am just starting out in ham radio and want a used HF radio to play around with. Since it will be on my boat (and I like boat things) it would be great if it was a marine radio with DSC.

I have heard Marine HF SSB is declining in popularity these days. If you have an Icom M802 Marine HF SSB radio with DSC and you never turn it on, why not get some room on your helm for something else and sell it to me?

Or perhaps you are really excited about Marine HF SSB and you want to ditch the M802 (now discontinued) for the new M803. Can you sell the old one to me?

I do not need an antenna.

Sincerely and hopefully yours, KB0ATY

icom-m802.jpg
  2. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Nifty. Do you just want the head, as shown, or the head and antenna tuner? Fred
  3. niftyc

niftyc New Member

I don't have anything now. I think I would need the control head (RC-25) and the radio (big black box, M802) itself at a minimum. I would also be willing to buy the optional antenna tuner (AT-140, big grey box) and it would be nice to have the control cables, hand mic, speaker, any mounting hardware, etc. but I could buy these separately if necessary.

I don't need an antenna.

Hoping hoping hoping
  4. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I have all that stuff minus the tuner. I'm not confident that it works, all I could ever receiver was WW time tick. If interested pm me with an offer.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The tuner is not optional, you need it to talk. :(
    You can receive anything, anywhere, but to transmit and actually communicate you need a lot more: Tuner, grounding plate, antenna (back stay on a sailboat, or a tall whip on a stink potter)
    Before you get too fixated on the ICOM M802, take a look at the SEA 235, or 235R:
    A great digital SSB, I loved mine: Did radio checks with Lima Radio in Peru, and the occasional Stockholm Radio in Sweden.
    Not a DSC however, but I never saw a need for that on the SSB. (If you are going way offshore and have an emergency, a sat phone would be more useful. These days SSBs, and ham radios are more like a hobby for nerds.)
    That being said, I loved my SEA 235R on the sailboat, 150 watts transmit power, all good.

BF954040-F11F-48C5-A370-17371BB39FD4.jpeg
  6. niftyc

niftyc New Member

Thanks for your assistance -- I have now obtained a used M802.