Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

WiFi in the Sky

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by CaptTom, Aug 25, 2009.

1. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but Delta Airlines now offers internet on some flights. Called GOGO inflight internet, you get wifi access when cruising over 10,000 feet. Right now, just before noon eastern time, I'm 30,000 feet over Georgia heading to Missouri and typing this thread. Although I get 5 bars, access is around 48 mbps, so don't expect broadband speed (more like fast dialup). But if you need access it's not bad. Took a while for the YF main page to load, and typically I wouldn't have the patience, but hey, where am I going (except down). lol
    They are giving free promos so not sure of the price. I am dreading when cell phones are approved for use system wide. UGH!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

YF's splash page sucks on dial-up, as do most of our reviews. Because broadband has fast become the norm, I opted not to minimize the size or content of these pages. If someone's on dial-up, then they probably aren't buying any of the boats featured here!

On my trip back from Wisconsin, I flew a 757 equipped with GoGo. Would have been nice to log-on to YF, but I thought the service was expensive. I waited until we landed and logged on via my iPhone. Before that phone, I pretty much never left the keyboard for 4 years. Now, I can get away for a bite, or even a short road trip. Single best business tool I ever purchased.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Even if your fingers are a bit fat.;)
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

With all this technology around, it's getting tough to hide. I probably would not use the internet again on a plane, a I do need to disconnect once in a while, and being captive on a plane is one of the last bastions of being "disconned". Some things need to remain sacred (and I'll never answer a call while in the men's room, either).
  5. YachtForums

Yes, but the latest software release has a landscape keyboard mode. Fat finger frustration fixed!
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Ha! Only teasing sir Carl.
  7. YachtForums

Tom,

I sent you digital GA's and specs on the PM-85. Should be in your inbox when you land.
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

10-4. Got the pics yesterday. Signing off, time to land.
  9. YachtForums

On a separate, but related subject... I'd like to get feedback from anyone using an AT&T netbook, or a USB/aircard for a laptop by this carrier.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

11. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Speed up your connection (greatly) by disabling the loading of flash, active x, and images in Firefox. (don't know how to do it in IE, don't use it)

YF loads quite quickly. OK, no picks, but content as usual.
    (and takes a little getting used to for the first time if you load YF's without images) Otherwise, smooth sailing [yachting].