Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Who needs a "Yacht" for Independence Day fireworks...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Pascal, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

After waiting almost all day for rain and thunderstorms to clear, we finally dropped our tender, "Sabrosa", in the water around 7pm. There was enough wind to go for a sail so after installing a new flag staff (couldn't go sailing on Independence Day without flying the Stars and Stripes) and packing the cooler with a couple of bottles of wine, we went for a great sail on the bay with about 10 to 12kts.

we kept it close to shore in shallower water to stay out of the way of the hundreds of idiots who only come out on holidays.

tacking back and forth on the west side of the bay, between Grove Isle and Dinner Key, we stayed out till about 10:30... turns out that there was a pretty nice firework display fired from the spoil islands off Dinner Key, very close to us. Plus all the other fireworks in the distance. Great views, nice breeze, GREAT SAILING.

Sometimes size doesn't matter and this July 4th evening on that little 12' Catboat was better than many other July 4th on the Hatt!

Attached Files:

2. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Catboat?

Fireworks were pretty, but your tender looks prettier. A catboat? How about a photo and details?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

yeah, it's a 12' Catboat, built by local builder Dave Westphal. wood and glass, junk rig, wooden mast, centerboard, 6' beam. very stable and easy to sail... and it fits on top of the Hatt! we can launch it with the crane and rig it in about 10 minutes...

very similar to New England Beatles, except for that Beatles are Gaff Rigged.

Attached Files:

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge (not being a sailboater) catboats were created here on Great South Bay and don't look like that. The ones I know are shallow, rounded bottom, rounded beam and cockpit with a rounded spray rail forward of the cockpit or with a rounded cabin front and usually upwards of 16'. The forward mast is right and I'll guess you are gaffrigged which is correct. Here's a 14' http://www.areyspondboatyard.com/images/apby14_racing_slippery2.jpg.jpg Educate me please.
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I like your style Pascal.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

a Catboat is any sailboat with the mast all the way forward and usually no head sail. I say usually because early Cats were workboats (NJ, 19th cent.) and sometimes they woudl rig a bow sprit to fit a jib.

this one is junk rigged. the boom and gaff are on one side of the mast and extend about 10" forward whereas on the standard gaff rig the boom and gaff are attached behind the mast. The sail has battens too...

speaking of cats, last month on my way north, I was reading Wooden Boat Mag and a very interesting article about a 30' cat named Silent Maid. Next day as I'm heading up channel towards the Verrazano I noticed a Gaff rig in the distance as i got closer it turned out to be that very same boat... she's actually a new built as the original boat needed to be totally rebuilt and is being saved for museum display...

so, Cat boats can come in many sizes... those Ares pond are very pretty boats...

here is a one of the pics i took of Silent Maid... the crew got a kick at seeing a 70' power boat slowing down, taking pictures and waving the magazine at them :) it was a beautiful sight, and quite a contrast right before NY Harbor

Attached Files:

7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

An education and a great story! Very cool Pascal! And darn near perfect timing in running across them in the channel.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Appreciate that Pascal. I didn't realize it was just the mast placement and gaff rig. Back a couple of years before I was born;) they were indeed used extensively around here for claming, oyster and scallop harvesting. Hense the wide beam that I'm used to seeing. We still have a few clubs in this area although they are shrinking. Beautiful, graceful boats. Thanks again. BTW, great shot of Silent Maid.