Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

wheel out on 4207

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by MysticDolphin, Dec 22, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

after a hard freeze on the lake, I have no preasure in the lines and the wheel just spins.. was able to drive using engines.. looked aft where the rudder assembly lies and no leaks.. checked at the wheel and no leaks.. worked just fine before the freeze.. will have the pros look at it and fix it but if it is something simple that i have no knowledge about.. the autohelm has been removed, so nothing there to check.... i did find the pump belt loose so i tightened... and it spins now..
  2. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Have you checked the air pressure in the reservoir under the aft cabin?

I had a similar problem and pumped it up to 25 lbs and everything was back to normal.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What kind of steering do you have, Hynautic? It s probably the most common on boats that size but usually you don't have a belt driven pump. Only on larger boats, 60/70+ will you have a power assist on Hynautic.

If Hynautic Air pressure is needed in the tank to push fluid up to the upper helm. Check that as well as the fluid level.

I don't see how cold weather could affect steering, hydraulic fluid isn't going to freeze...
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I agree with the former. It's most likey low air pressure. Both air pressure and fluid level could compress with the hard freeze or if there's any moisture in the system that could freeze, blocking the lines. But most likely problem is the air pressure. In any case it should correct itself when things warm up. A fluid leak may also show up when it warms.
  5. riverat

riverat New Member

I have the same boat. Had the same problem on the sea trial when I bought it 3 yrs ago. It was stored for the winter and probably suffered the same 'freezing' symptoms. During the sea trial, The mechanic came aboard, pumped up the air pressure and the sea trial went flawlessly. No issues with the steering since.
  6. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

i did notice an air valve on the fluid container in the aft where the lines run into the hydrolic shafts.. thanks for the advice will go take a closer look.. as far as what kind i have .. i honestly have no idea.. it is the original with the boat though... is there anyway for me to accuratly tell what i have..
  7. sam356

sam356 Member

I hope you don,t have your auto pilot on.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I always keep a bicycle air pump on board, it s a must have on any boat with Hynautic You don't need much pressure, usually just 15lbs is enough to push the fluid up to the flybridge.