Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning

What will yachts and yachting look like in 2015?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by Windswept, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Windswept

Windswept New Member

An open question...maybe a discussion on the scope of the industry and the changes in yacht construction would be useful at this time.

Any takers?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

2015 is not far away so I can not foresee any big changes. Perhaps more retired people will use their boats for travel and live-aboards. Perhaps some more motor sailers between 40 and 60 feet. Perhaps some more Marinas and yachting in the Far East.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

2015 IS very close so let's say 2015 to 2020. I'd envision incredible advances in electronics (not always for the better), far more regulations and restrictions, very possibly serious security problems, and major design and style changes. We may be dealing with composites that are only a dream today, and M/Y A and a few others have already started design change with the reversed bow. We may also well see major propulsion change. As the auto industry leaves fossil fuels yacht may follow.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

NYCAP, I hope you are completely wrong...:D
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With certain parts I do too, but with others I look forward with excitement. Never fear the future because it's coming anyway. Some of us remember navigating by landmarks, stars, compass, Time/Speed/Distance, & feel. That big gray box with the green screen was something very few had. Our wildest imaginations never brought us near where we are today with broadband & GPS & AIS and the rest. Drinking while boating was normal and there were no such things as speed restrictions. There wasn't even such a thing as Marine Patrol or towboat companies. There was the CG, the CG Aux, the USPS, salvors and your neighbor. As for security you just have to fly anywhere to see where that's already come. Although I think I prefer the world I grew up in to the one that's coming it is exciting.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think your time span is more like 50 years on and 50 back, not 5 to 10 years.

And I miss that nice old radar where you could tell if it was a seagull, a swan or a dinghy you were approaching. Sometimes I also wish they closed down the GPS satellites so people learned to navigate again.

But seeing where the yacht designs are heading, we will have a new breed of yachting people out there I am afraid...
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

so NYCAP, i guess you are as old as the boat in your Avatar? :)

seriously, increased electronics is a given and by the end of next decade joystick controls / computer driven pods will be standard, coupled with GPS. Auto hovering is here or almost here.. how soon do you guys think boats will be able to back into their slips on their own? this way any idiot will be able to go their friendly Marine Max dealer, buy the latest Brunswick cholorx bottle and get on the water!

or maybe, just maybe, we'll see more traditional looking boats out there, with nice lines... downeast/lobster boats are gaining popularity, along with others like Vicem. maybe there is hope after all.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

True on all counts. However it was only in 1991 that Trimble tested a little gizmo on our boat called GPS.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

:cool:
    Close, but I'll just claim a very early start in boats. Actually, come to think of it, I'm considerably older than it. :cool: Do you mean to tell me that between IPS, Yachtcontroller, bow & stern thrusters, and auto pilot they don't dock themselves? I know a lot of yacht owners who are going to be very surprised.;) They do at least take you to your destination automatically so you can just watch the game on your 42" and be there when the game is done right?:rolleyes:
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i dont' recall the Trimble but i remebmer the Sony Pixys. that was my first GPS, must have been mid 91 or early 92?... anybody remember them? round detachable antenna and a two line text display! i used it for flying down in the islands where there were few DME (for speed and distance to VORs) at that time. Back then that little thing was amazing... and $1500!
  11. SAB

SAB New Member

"You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge. And if you project forward from that pattern, then sometimes you can come up with something.” - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.:rolleyes:
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm inclined to believe that diesel electric will be offered as an option by more builders, coming into favor in the next decade. There are at least two companies ramping up to produce pod propulsion systems and even more spooling up to wind copper around armatures. Not at liberty to discuss further, fiduciary agreements at risk.

Just as economy’s cycle, so do industries. Some builders believe that new models are the life blood of a company’s existence. In this economy, I don’t agree. To continue with new product development, pumping cash into design, engineering and molds, hoping to emerge from the storm with a broader product base and further amortized equipment, is failing to recognize the breadth of this downturn.

We’ve seen unprecedented growth in the economy and particularly the yachting industry over the past decade. This has enabled new infrastructure, product diversity, expanded skill sets and fat bottom lines. But this time, the turn in our economy is vastly different, fueled by inevitably higher oil prices, credit markets tightened to the choking point, imploding home values, investment insecurity that's caused depositors to withdraw billions in cash and a state of mind that’s returning to simplicity.

By 2015, the number of yacht builders will most assuredly decline. The old adage “Cash is King” certainly applies now. For builders who fail to pull in the reigns, streamline production, focus on emerging markets and embrace new medias, their boat will surely sink.
  13. Tom Phillips

Tom Phillips New Member

I think it will look like this...

Attached Files:

14. Manny

Manny Senior Member

wow, I remember that. I was actually the first person in PR to own one on my 54'.

I DEFINITELY miss the old days, when boats were smaller, yachting simpler, and just funner.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

16. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Powered cats / tri-hulled yachts may become more mainstream.
    Crew quarters will take up more of the available accomm space than ever before....negating the increase in accomm volume offered by the current pod-drive systems today. This will push waterline length closer to overall length and beyond, because...
    Berth prices per foot will rocket. Either due to legislation / green tax or a reassessment of exactly how many and of what size craft will still be cruising around by then.
    I can quite imagine the advent of length / beam ratios being reversed...
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Wastewater treatment and recycling on large yachts will become the norm. The zero-discharge yacht is on our horizon. This will require more tankage so naval architects will start to look more at double-bottoms.
  18. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Harnessing the power of the sun. Also rectangular solar panel sails for blow-boats.

Attached Files:

19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Diesel Electric should be pretty common by 2015 thanks to advances in motor and battery technology coming from the auto industry. We're almost there already with a number of solutions for smaller boats. The Lagoon 42 sailing cat for instance uses electric motors which also recharge the batteries under sail. When wind is light, the generator feeds the motor. Obviously a 42' cat is more efficient than a 60 trawler but by 2015, I expect it will be an alternative for displacement speeds.