Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

What was the real identity of this yacht?

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by Manusel, May 7, 2015.

1. Manusel

Manusel Member

This wire photo was distributed widely in 1938, wrongly identified as the "Danubia" which was to be rented for a 15 mile ride up the Seine River to Paris by the British Royal couple. However the text of all the news stories refers to Danubia as being 80' long with a shallow draft. I believe the news service got the identification wrong, because this vessel is much longer than 80' and definitely deeper in draft. Interestingly there is no listing of any yacht in the European Lloyd's Register of Yachts in 1939 for either a current or former yacht by the name of Danubia.

Attached Files:

2. Manusel

Manusel Member

Here is an article.

Attached Files:

3. Manusel

Manusel Member

This is the press release attached to the photograph.

Attached Files:

4. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

I believe to remember that this particular yacht was used by its owner as a floating home in England and saw very few miles. I remember having seen fotos of a yacht that looked at least very similar concerning the superstructures and proportions in use as a floating hospital during WW II. But I canĀ“t find any info on her right now...
  5. Manusel

Manusel Member

Could you be thinking of Crusader owned by A. Kingsley Macomber. She was similar except in the stern. Crusader had the typical Camper & Nicholson stern , while the mystery yacht had a genuine counter stern more like a traditional steam yacht but without the clipper bow.

Crusader (5).jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  6. SFS

SFS Senior Member

Manusel - I am really enjoying your posts. However, most of your pictures seem to be published missing at least half of the image. Are they uploading properly? When you look at one of your pictures, is it all there?

Is anyone else noticing this, or could the problem be at my end? I only notice it in Manusel's posts.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Is it better like the nr 5 above? I have reduced the size to the 640p we recommend, it was twice that...
  8. Manusel

Manusel Member

I realize some of the pics are too big. Don't know how to re-size! However, if you click on the body of the truncated picture it instantly reopens full sized. Try it.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Crusader looks like a very different boat, especially the stern.
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Any picture on the forums that looks like it might be missing a part is likely being cropped by the software to fit in the thread viewing format. Simply click the image and an overlay will pop up with the image fully viewable.
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. Manusel

Manusel Member

I now believe this yacht was the Sona. Photo to follow. Sona was built in 1922 by Camper & Nicholson measured 189 feet LOA and was 247.8 GRT. She had oil engines. In 1939 she belonged to Lord Camrose. She was sunk by German aircraft in 1942 in Poole.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    MARK MACAULEY likes this.
  12. Manusel

Manusel Member

Here's the Sona.

Attached Files:

13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Close
    Life boat spacing is different.
    boat deck aft extension, pic #1.
    After mast are different.
    Some kind of separate cabin on after boat deck, Pic#1.

These differences could of been mods on the same boat.
  14. Manusel

Manusel Member

Click the picture to get hit to open full screen.
  15. Manusel

Manusel Member

I saw those differences but agree they are later mods. Other clues like window and port count are evident. Also the subtle upsweep of the outside gunwale trim at the stern.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Man, I luv that stern.
  17. Manusel

Manusel Member

What is amazing to me is the rarity of pictures of this yacht. For a vessel of this size and impressiveness, I would think more images would be available. I hope someone else will post others.
  18. Manusel

Manusel Member

Sona did have a fire which may have resulted in changes from her as-built appearance.
  19. Manusel

Manusel Member

I still think it's Sona, but a close second would be Sagitta of 1908 which has the upper deck aft solarium cabin/deckhouse structure. However the mast arrangement is different.

Attached Files:

20. MARK MACAULEY

MARK MACAULEY New Member

Mansuel's first picture is correct, I believe. I believe the one in the post just above is NOT Sona. I did have a photo somewhere which I can check. I do, however, have her bell which says Sona R.Y.S. This yacht in question belonged to my grandfather, William Camrose, who also owned the Cambria. He gave Sona to the war effort. I have even seen photos of her remains as she was dragged into a harbour. Please click on the photo if you'd like to see the bell!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019