Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for JetForums

What type of store sells captain's hats?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by bluestar, Mar 18, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bluestar

bluestar New Member

As my boat purchase inches toward a transation, I'm looking at the next important task -- getting myself a captain's hat.

Amazon has some, but I think I want to try the fit before I buy since I am not buying a holloween prop. Anyone know what type of store sells this? Military supply? Western Marine?

A side note -- I want to buy some plastic viking helmets for my kids. Amazon again has them, but the delivery cost is 100% of product value. I'm wondering if I can find a local store to buy this somewhat odd item...

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

For the captain hats and caps, try westmarine in Alameda. Don't know about the viking helmets though!

Cheers.
    Alfred
  3. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

try a military surplus store... I have been told that you can not buy an authentic naval hat without being in the military... my son bought me one of those novelty ones that west marine sells that actually has captain on it off ebay...
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A modest head cover is always welcome.

Attached Files:

5. triggerfish23

triggerfish23 Member

If you're willing to have it shipped, I recommend Lighthouse. Please see there sight at: The Lighthouse Uniform Company

I have purchased items from them and they're great. I would recommend that you find the size you need and order it from there.

Good luck and congrats on the boat purchase.

Trig
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just to give fair warning, unless you're a ship's captain or a military officer you'll be looking a bit like Rodney Dangerfield. Most guys on boats wear ball caps, often from a port they've recently been to or enjoyed. My favorites are from Nantaucket, Newport and Coinjock. My Alaska hat blew overboard and sank which is one reason we tend not to get expensive hats. Those Viking hats can be a bit uncomfortable when you sit down and forget to see what you're sitting on. Often that's the last thing on your mind on a boat between hazzards to navigation and bikinis.:eek:
  7. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Ribbing

I think Bluestar is having a little fun at our expense.........The last yachtsman I saw with the silly looking white hat, blue blazer, and weejuns, was the captain of a 16' Lonestar cuddy cabin with a 30HP outboard. That was in the early 80's BTW.:rolleyes:
  8. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I like how that hat is advertized as a " MALE Captians Hat".

That said I'll bite my tongue..............:rolleyes:
  10. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

It says "Male Admirals Combination Hat". I am the Captain, my wife is the ADMIRAL...........Guess whose going to wear the **** hat?