Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Walker

What to add to my holding tank???

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by adambomb, Mar 29, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. adambomb

adambomb Member

The are so many additives that change smell and there are ones that eat it with bacteria . End result what works the best so I won't smell anything? Thanks
  2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there,

There are many products out there and I think your best bet is to try which one suites you the most in terms of packaging (depending on your tanks sizes), type of treatment, price and after all how did it work for you, some are more effective if the tanks are fairly away from the head because the react slower than others. As for brands, pure oceans and sealand worked for me. Also, you might want to consider trying "Green" products first if you desire.

Some products are scented and this might give you a "strange" smell, not bad, just strange, specially during humid days. So after all, see what is available in your area, class them according to your preference then try them for some time and see, the good thing is almost all are available in small one use packets so you will not have to buy a quart or more for trial.

Cheers,

Alfred
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Once you have a stinky tank, I have found only two real stink cures;
    1. Clean tank properly. The slime goop on the sides makes a lot of that nasty stink.
    2. Set auto pump on very low tank level setting. Example pump on at 20% pump off at 10%. Keeping a lot of fluid stored creates stink fumes.

Chemicals only mask for very short times in my experience. The bacteria takes a long time to cultivate and is usually destroyed by improper cleaning products added by people unknowingly and plus you need an air generator or the bacteria can not live. And please do not even consider adding bleach. That can cause some real nasty gases harmful to others.

I have also seen A/C fan coils have there condensate drains plumbed in into tanks with out proper P traps and the fans would suck the tank fumes and push that lovely scent throughout the boat and no one could figure out why the boat always smelled of grey water.
  4. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

More likely, it's the toilet hoses - holding tank hoses - that are causing the smell. There is a hose that goes from the deck pump-out to the holding tank too. Take a good look around the bilge ... put your nose to the hoses.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Cleaning the tank is a good idea if you have a serious problem. Prevention works well before a real stink starts. SeaLand is the most common treatment I've seen on the Island, and does a good job. Also, make a point of pumping out every couple of weeks if it's been used at all. When you do pump out, shoot in a couple of gals of clean water in , and pump again. Leave some clean water in your tank to work on any brick (old waste that dried and solidified) you might have. Better still, suggest that guests use the head on land whenever possible and remind the ladies that it's 4 sheets per flush. That usually gets them to use the one on land.:)
    Also, make sure your filter is clean. A couple of flushes in the red can do them in. That'll stink you for sure.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I like Raritan's holding tank additive.

As for having a holding tank cleaned. I have never ever had to have that done. On stinky holding tanks, I have flushed them a few times (by doing a pumpout, filling it with garden hose, pumpout, filling it and pumping out), then have filled the tank with the garden hose and a healthy dose of additive for a week and it pretty much cleans whatevers heavy in the tank.......

BUT, the hoses going to and from the tank can be a source of smells. A clogged vent hose, or vent filter is usually the source of most smells in holding tanks.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I have found Raritan KO is very effective in the holding tank. Google it for additional info.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have never understood the need to clean holding tanks... Just to refill them again!

Whenever you pump out using a hose with a clear window, you can see how the "stuff" is mostly liquid with very small particles in suspension, you re not going to have issues with stuff staying in the tank, at least not to the point of causing issues. A quick flush after the pump out is usually enough. What i usually do after a pump out is flush every head multiple time (filling the bowl first with vacuflush). This rinses the whole system, then I pump out again

As to smell, the tank should not smell, but hoses do after a whole.

Most folks confuse outside vent smell with inside smell. If you don't have a charcoal filter on the vent, an outside smell after flushing in normal. personally i dont like vent filters unless the vent is in a location too close to a cockpit or areas where people spend time

If you get a smell after flushing inside the boat this is a clear sign of an air leak inside the boat, and most if the time this will be at the top if the tank where gauge wiring goes in. Obviously it could be a vent line issue but I find senders to be the most frequent cause

And no i don't use any additive, never have for the past 15 or 20 years. Again the source of smell is usually hoses not tank, additives don't help with hoses.
  9. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Holding tank odor

As a liveaboard for the last 17 years, I am sensitive :eek: to the issue at hand........A previous boat had two of the old Mansfield heads that dumped directly into a 8 to 10 gallon holding tank directly under the seat and when that was full, it was pumped forward to a 40 gallon plastic holding tank under the forward berth. After trying all the usual suspects, I found a product that killed the odor in the heads and the hoses between the heads and the holding tank. Its called Happy Camper and can be ordered on line. I have no connection other than I am a Happy Boater.........:D
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The reason the senders are a source of leakage is because most boats have plastic tanks that flex, expand, and contract. I've found holding tank treatment (raritan) does help. I manage and run a 62' Sunseeker Predator......the moron's at Sunseeker decided a 34 gallon holding tank would suffice on a boat that sleeps 6 people.........

Your Hatteras has a fiberglass tank with an aluminum plate on the top of it......they don't flex....hehehe, therefore the Hatteras tanks rarely if ever have an air leak.......
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Actually mine has a poly tank at the bow, the very early 53s had a different setup from later ones. But i don't have a vent filter so the tank never flexes

34 gal tank? That s nuts. We have a 100 gal fiberglass tank on the Johnson 70 I run and sometimes that lasts 3 or 4 days...
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

yes, 34 gallons is totally nuts, it also is a 2007, was built for the US market, and has the seacocks and valving to pump from the head directly overboard.....which I haven't seen on any yacht since the late 80's early 90's......needless to say, with 6 of us on-board I'm lucky if it lasts 24 hours.

Your holding tank on your Hatt was most likely added at a later date, because Hatteras has never used Poly holding tanks........Chances are yours was built without a holding tank and it was added later because it went to the great lakes or something along those lines.......I ran a 1978 58' YF and it had 2 fiberglass holding tanks, 1 in the bow that was around 100 gallons for the FWD and midship head, and a smaller one midships for the master head.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah, the bigger bow tank was installed in the mid 90s when the galley maids were replaced by vacuflushes i still have 2 unused pump out fittings on deck for the aft heads. The smaller tanks were removed