Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

What fuel usage should expect for Grand Banks Classique 42?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Danski, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Danski

Danski New Member

As the title suggests, I was wondering how much fuel would Grand Banks Classic 42 - 1969 with 2 Ford Inboard Direct-Drive 2 x 135 hp / 99 KW diesel. The engines are with 8000 h.
    Many web sites have general information but I thought some of you might have experience with this particular engine, hp, kw etc.

I'm looking for a live aboard boat and my dilemma was between a trawler and a sailboat. Obviously, the living space on a trawler is much more comfortable for onboard living. But it seems that when it comes to fuel, compared to a sailboat it's a bit of economic suicide if I decide to do a bit of cruising.
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Can't speak to those engines, and don't know your budget situation... but if you run a boat like that at "trawler speeds" most of the time, fuel will generally not be your largest expense.

For that boat, guessing a 40' waterline length, displacement speeds for best fuel economy would likely be between 6.75-8.0 kts, probably no more than 8.5 kts. (Real waterline length could improve that guess.) Absent better specifics, you could guess 2 NMPG at comfortable trawler speeds, maybe 2.5, possibly even 3 NMPG occasionally depending on wind and/or currents and tides.

-Chris
  3. Danski

Danski New Member

Thanks, Chris!

I guess I missed some details.

Beam: 4.20
    Draught: 1.30
    Hull Type: Full Displacement
    Design Category: A-Ocean
    20 000 kg
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

At hull speed (about 6.5kts) you re probably going to burn about 4 gph.

don’t be obsessed with fuel costs, it s only a small part of the overall budget especially with a small trawler.
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You are aware this is a wood Grand Bank 42. Check it over real well before you purchase it, if you go that route.
  6. Danski

Danski New Member

Ok, can you explain that part, please. I'm obviously new to boats. And I thought I have insurance, marina, maintenance and fuel. Am I missing something?
  7. Danski

Danski New Member

Yes, few people warned me about that. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

typically insurance, dockage and maintenance are much bigger than fuel even on a fiberglass boat. No, on a woodie? Fuel will Be the last of your worries

btw many yards and marinas do not even want deal with older wooden boats… if you re up north with a fairly short season and with yards that still have people able to work on wooden hulls, it COULD BE ok but down south…. It is suicide. Look up teredo worms
    BlueNomad and StillLearning like this.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In Denmark, This could be different.

But a NFG with a wood boat?
    Fuel is the last of your worries, Unless you get original black iron fuel tanks..
  10. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Perhaps Monel tanks … and a copper water tank.
    That’s what my 1962 Matthew’s had still fine as could be when I sold the boat in 2012.
    Why manufactures get away from Monel I don’t understand I guess it’s hard to get and just too expensive?
    Best metal around for a fuel tank.
  11. Danski

Danski New Member

This particular boat seems to have too many issues. But few other people mentioned I should avoid wood and for fiberglas instead. Thanks, cleanslate!