Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

What can a small builder offer today?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Teenna, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Teenna

Teenna New Member

It's clear like a water on the beach I'm writing this on:the current prices of the mass production sailing yachts are soooo low that a small builder, trying to do something similar in a similar price range is going "red" immediatly.

For instance, take Bavaria, any model. Make a calculation of the price of a sailing boat that you want to build with the same components and techniques of a corispondent model of Bavaria and you will discover you cannot do it at that price yourself.

The only answer according to me is quality and performance (equal to light weight construction and high end components), all things that require TIME during construction and are therefore non applicable to the mass serious production. TIME/QUALITY Quefficient is the area where those mass production builders are weak.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In my experience, small builders have two more options besides superior quality and this is better Design and the Custom production.

But over time, the low cost producers will discover both good design and customization, just as in the car industry....
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

In the US market they've discovered sexy design. Customization isn't even close.

Kelly Cook
  4. Teenna

Teenna New Member

Sexy design? Like who's design?