Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Delta

Went flying today...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, May 11, 2008.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

It's been a while since I've flown (about 2 years) and as expected, I was a little rusty. Given the 20+ years I've been flying R/C helicopters, I expected to pick up where I left off... NOT! There was a time when my 3-D work was approaching the level in the link below, although today it wasn't... and tomorrow's not looking very good either.

http://www.tuks.ch/video/first700.wmv

This is my TSK BlackShark. Not a machine for 3-D, but for FAI precision flying. I also use it for top-speed competitions. Best speed on radar was 103 mph... coming out of dive, downwind, low on fuel. Today, it basically hovered. Then I sat down. Had a drink. Stopped shaking. And I was done. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

If only there was a full size that could perform like that......
  3. YachtForums

Welcome back old friend! :)

I get a little queasy just watching that video. Can't imagine going for a ride!
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Good to be back.
    Seeing what you RC drivers do amazes me. My old brain just locks up when I try and figure out how you do what you do without the seat of the pants feedback.
    I watched that video a couple of times.
    Hovering inverted OGE .....
    103 mph translated to full size would have it moving in the Mach numbers.
    Going for a ride, nope. Driving it, in a heartbeat.

Yuppers! That first flight after being off the stick for a while can be a real high pucker factor sweat producer.
    It'll all come back to you. Just takes a bit to keep from being behind it to staying ahead of it.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My wife just watched your vid and wants me to go flying with you. I think I'm carrying too much insurance.:eek:
  6. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

Wow, great video!
    Do you maybe got a precision flying-video?
    (my eyes are a bit tired after a long day powerkiting
    at the beach..)
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I have had the pleasure of watching Carl fly up close and personal. It was at the Ft. Lauderdale air sea show & I was invited to meet Carl aboard the Broward "Good Deal".
    We were anchored up in a small bay with HUNDREDS of boats of all sizes packed in. Carl's flying abilities were beyond perfection & after a wild flight between the sailboat masts, yacht bridges, outriggers, low flying planes & the general distractions of about 8000 people watching, Carl set the chopper down. The entire bay erupted with cheers and sounding horns. Carl quietly sat down & had a drink. WOW! That was cool stuff!
  8. YachtForums

Welcome back Idall Time! Long time, no "Post". :)

Sure do miss the Air & Sea show. I was recently at a Bar-BQ in Lauderdale and overheard a conversation about some idiot that flew an r/c helicopter off the bow of a boat each year at the show. The guy said I was a danger to society. I didn't have the nerve to introduce myself, but the truth is... he was probably right.

Ahhh... the good old days. Flying r/c heli's. Looking at babes on bows in bikinis. And taking notes as Dave talked them out of their better judgment. :D
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Never mind the RC's. I remember when Big Eagle was at the Lauderdale show and their helicopter was taking off, landing, etc., etc. throughout the show. Now that was a bit scary.
  10. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Ahhh...the good old days for sure!
    That air/sea show day is one which I've told many friends about & will remain in the memory banks for a long, long time!
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

12. YachtForums

Codger,

Just after your post, I caught a news segment on TV about our modern day Superman. Being a propulsion engineer, curiosity got the best of me. Had to find out what propelled (compelled?) this guy. Came across an article and some images on Wired. Basically, he strapped 4 R/C microjet engines to a carbon fiber wing...

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/swiss-man-strap.html
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Perhaps changing from Publisher/Admin to "Danger to Society" would be appropriate. After all, promoting the use and building of an object that can go to sea, could be construed as your having an anarchist streak when viewed by many in what seems to be a progressively risk averse culture on this continent.:D