Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Water system

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by White Noise, Jun 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. White Noise

White Noise New Member

Pease help,

We can't get any water flow to the sinks or toilet if not connected to shore water. I cleaned the screen on the on line filter and replaced the pump. Nether made a difference. The pump will get to pressure and shut off, we turn the water on and it will run for 10-15 second and run out. It just doesn't seem like the water is getting to the pump. There is a round white knob between the water tank and the filter that turns about a quarter of a turn ( I assume that is a ball valve). I have disconnected the plumbing at the valve and turned the valve both ways and water still doesn't come out of the valve. The water tank is only 18" from the valve. Isi the valve?

Thanks for the help,
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Your description is a little confusing, however, here are the possibilities....
    Empty water tank,
    Defective pump
    valve closed between pump and tank
    suction line between tank and pump defective.
    Pressure switch defective.

Start by confirming all the above are negative.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

4. gbarger

gbarger New Member

Most fresh water systems on Carvers are almost exactly as the diagram in the link provided by NYCAP123.

From the original poster, it appears that the system works correctly when connected to shore water, so we can assume the system from where the shore water connects to the faucets is OK.

Working our way back from that point we see a check valve, if someone cleaned that and replaced it backwards, then there is the problem.

Accumulator tanks work by an expanding bladder inside that contracts and expands to help maintain water pressure, when they fail, they just stop working, and should not be the problem.

The water pump per the OPs post works in that it will run, get pressure and shut off. So, I will assume that the pump and pressure shut off switch are working, since that is what he said.

The valve that you mentioned will indeed be a gate valve, most of those round knobs have a horizontal Line or bar on the top, open is with the bar in line with the water line, closed is with the bar perpendicular to the line.

So, here is my speculation as to the problem.

If someone has messed with the check valve then that is the most likely cause.

If the water filter was totally removed to facilitate cleaning it might be installed backwards, some filters also have check valves built into them and only allow water to flow in one direction.

I have also seen the air vent to the water tank blocked, and the pump creates a vacuum and will appear to have the symptoms that have been described.

My first trouble shooting recommendation would be to remove the fill cap from the water tank, creating a clear air vent source and then try the system. If that works, then clean out the water tank air vent.

One last consideration, if when you changed the pumps, you switched brands, I have seen different brand pumps or even different models of the same brand that have intake and exit ports on reverse sides. So even though the pump was installed in the same orientation as the old pump, the intake and exit ports are reversed and would be actually pumping out of the lines into the tank. you might take a look at the pump connections, there is usually small arrows indicating direction of flow.

Gary