Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Water in spark plug cylinder area Crusader 454 engine

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by boatman62, Apr 29, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. boatman62

boatman62 New Member

I have a 1986 Carver with twin 454 Crusader engines. I had a valve job done, changed the head gasket, and re-torqued the head and intake bolts according to the proper sequence and torque. The engine ran fine. However, after running the engine a couple of times I now discovered that I have water in the spark plug cylinder area. I’m not sure where the water is coming from. The intake gasket is intact. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Why did you do the valve job? how old are the exhaust manifolds & risers?
    ,rc
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Boatman
    Assume you are speaking of the external area of the head in the recess for the spark plug? Check the hoses/ fittings to the cooling jacket while the engines are running to eliminate that possibility....
  4. justold

justold Member

Did you properly clean the head bolt threads and apply the correct sealer on them ? If not and they are leaking I would use two containers of the silver powder stop leak (the ones about the size of a shot gun shell ).
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

raw water in the cylindar?

or coolant?

If raw water; first thing to rule out with the Crusaders would be the risers.
    That is the one weak point of otherwise great gas inboards.