Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

water heater

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by MysticDolphin, Apr 23, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

I have a 4207 Carver... can I replace my marine hot water heater of 19 gallons with a household water heater of 19 gallons... I realize I would not have the hot water from the heat exchanger..but this is a lake boat and only need hot water when on the hook.... both are a 120 volts.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

yes but a non-marine water heater is not ignition protected, if you have a gas boat and you have a fire or explosion your insurance company may not cover you if the water heater is in the same machinery space as your engines or fuel tanks
  3. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

any suggestions who sells a 19 gallon the cheapest... or under $1000
  4. sam356

sam356 Member

5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Reading the spec sheet tells it all /

0.5 Gal per Minute isnt enough to get your hair wet much less rinse anything out of it. Specs say this unit is a low volume more suited for hand washing.
    At 3.0 Kw & 25 ampres draw on the electrical system this unit is the absolute base model but there is another thread on YF titled "on demand water heater" that goes into the pros and cons a bit more .
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

8-12 gal will be more than enough for a 42 foot boat.
    turn the heater up so you use less hot water, and in the summer the hot water seems to stays hot for days.

I dont know if those 110 point of use whate heaters are efficicent enough to rely on for showers.

If the water heater is going in a gas engine room or in the same space as a gas tank you must get a marine ignition protected unit. (expensive)

In the event of a fire connected to the water heater, you should expect difficulty from your insurance company if you do not have a marine water heater. So in the long run, a proper water heater is not expensive.

If you have a diesel boat I think you could get a heater from home depot (much cheaper than marine stamped unit), not totally sure about that though. Its always best to check with you insurance company when changing or adding any machinery.

RT46
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LOTS of diesel boats have household hot water heaters from the factory.........Do NOT use them on a gas boat
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I agree w CPT J,

my current boat (diesel) has a OEM standard water heater in the ER.

DO NOT put one in a gas boat, it is an explosion hazard