Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Washer Leak

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by trmnewt, Sep 21, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

I have a 2000 Carver 506 and when I turn on the water supply to the washer, I get water on the carpet in the salon on the port side of the stairs. No water I can find in the closet where the washer is. Any thoughts?
  2. MSviking

MSviking New Member

My 54 Viking with GE washer/dryer did sort of the same thing, it turned out to be barnacle growth in the overboard discharge hose. We checked 100 things before that.
  3. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Not sure I ever would have thought of that--thanks!
  4. gbarger

gbarger New Member

My reply is taking your statement literally. The leak develops when you turn on the water to the washer. A leak from the discharge hose would require the washer to be running. If that is the case then it can be a blocked discharge hose.

If the water leaks just by turning on the valve to deliver water to the washer, then the leak is:

1. A leak in the water line to the washer or at the water line's connection to the washer.

2.There is a water solenoid valve in the washer, which delivers water during operation that can stick open, and cause the washer to leak without the washer operating.

This happened on my friends 506, but the washer closet and the floor of the aft cabin was soaked. If your washer is in that aft cabin closet, and the only place that gets wet is the saloon floor on the port side of those stairs, then I suspect the leak is one on the quick release fittings on that washer's water feed line.

Gary
  5. gbarger

gbarger New Member

Ok, I called my friend that has a 2000 506, and he actually also had a leak that did just what you described. He said it was where the washer faucet lines passed through the wall and connected to the boat's water line. Here is how he accessed them.

From the saloon, you need to pull out the couch on the port side beside the stairs going to the aft deck.

Behind that couch is an access panel you remove to fix/find the leak.

Gary
  6. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Gary,
    Thank you so much! I was going to pull the washer out next weekend--this sounds easier !
  7. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Gary,

That was a great tip! Found the access panel right where you said it would be. Determined the hot water supply hose was leaking. Rubber washers (which I even had on board) in each end solved the problem. Thanks again!

Tom
  8. gbarger

gbarger New Member

great news, glad it was that simple a fix.

Gary