Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Washer Dryer pick 2022

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CWV, Aug 17, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CWV

CWV Member

Time has run its course and looking to upgrade the original whirlpool washer and vented dryer (stacked 24” wide units) - these were installed by the factory on separate mounts with the connections located in an access between them. Still working, but washer is growing finicky when it comes to switching cycles, not to mention being 21 years young. They’re in a tight companionway in a 60’ SF. If I’m going to the trouble of replacing one, I’m doing both as a matching set before we find ourselves far from home.

I’ve scoured the internet and there are always a litany of reviews with the good ones subjectively written by bots and the poor ones by folks with poor grammar and an axe to grind. Any consensus on top picks for replacements today? Vented or ventless? I definitely don’t want a combo washer / clothes-wrinkler unit (been there) and I’m limited to 24” max width.

Swapping out is not a job I’m excited to do, especially twice due to making a bad pick. What do you suggest that actually works, is more sociable than the whirlpool freight train and is above all else, reliable?
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I need to replace a combo, so I've been reading too. Most suggest vented unit are better than non-vented, and product focus on Miele, Bosch, maybe Splendide (what we have now), and the other day I saw a comment about Daewoo. I have no further info on any of those, though...

-Chris
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

A dryer without a vent is pretty well useless. Drying time is more than double the time.
    Brian G, Capt Ralph and captholli like this.
  4. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Normally I'd take vented over non vented any day. The basic condenser non vented just doesn't work.
    But these days there is a new third option that I've looked into a bit. Most times it's called a heat pump dryer, a few call it a compressor (not condenser) dryer. Reports are that they are very efficient, and if needed, kits are available to pump the discharge water into the same drain as the washer. That may take a little adapting to work on a boat.
    I'm keeping them in the back of my head right now as may need to put dryer into a garage with no venting access.
  5. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

I have Asko washer and drier at home. Swedish company and engineering but now built in Turkey and Poland I think. Foot print is a little smaller than most which worked for me. Very pleased so far. Heat pump is a little slower than vented but much faster than old style non vented. Doors are built to significantly reduce the danger of mold. In the US the are/were marketed by the Sub Zero/Wolf folks and parts and service should therefore be available. 6 months in. Fingers crossed.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We had an Asko set on a 70 I ran years ago. They were 15 years old when the boat sold and were still running with minimal part replacement. But it doesn’t mean 2003 quality continued into new models

i ve had a vented splendid on my personal 53. It works well but can only do small loads. A Queen set is as much as you can do

on other boats I ve run, we ve had Bosch. Didn’t make it to 10 years and couldn’t get parts. Wouldn’t buy one

on the 116 I run now, we ve replaced a set of Bosch with basic GEs. Inexpensive and fairly simple. Still have one set on Bosch which I dread replacing because the door to the laundry room is like 21” :(

I had to disassemble the GE washer I replaced I few months ago to get to fit thru the transom door. No seller wanted to do it as it would void the warranty… took a couple of hours.

i never look at reviews… most are meaningless or written by idiots to whom all the warning and safety labels are geared for

the nr criteria for any appliance on a boat is always size anyway….
  7. Kapn

Kapn Member

The key with non vented dryers is to vent the space in which they are housed. Adding a fan to move air around the unit and out of the boat is key. Vented units are still better but the only non vented ones I've seen lately are Blomberg. I've had a set for a few years and although they look very plain, they seem to work great.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'm running with the Bosch 300 series stacked. Works pretty well, but keep the loads small. If we do a big linen flip, I'll run it ashore to a service. Had very good success with Asko as well, but Bosch was available and easy at the time. It's a dustless vent. So far so good after several years.
  9. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I had a plan to vent into the ER and use a lint box for the vent, but punted and went semi ventless.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

THIS. Whirlpool is your best bet. Miele lasts a very long time on yachts too but harder to get service.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Near impossible to gets parts and service for Miele even something as simple as replacement grates for their grills
  12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

It certainly used to be that way 10-15 yrs ago with Miele USA out of NJ but since there's so many units out there aboard yachts nowadays things have changed. There's good service and parts up and down the eastern seaboard and especially in south Fl as there's a couple of companies that specialize in Miele installation and service that actually break the units down into sub-assemblies to fit through tight spaces and then reassemble once in. Meile has become standard spec on most if not all European vessels and have made huge inroads into the U.S. That being said, A single Miele washer costs twice what a whirlpool combo set would, and their longevity isn't twice as long so If I were an owner operator, I would go the Whirlpool route.