Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Wandering Tach

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Joe P., Jun 18, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Joe P.

Joe P. New Member

The starboard tach on my 1993 370 Carver AC jumps all over the place at RPM's above approximately 1000 RPM. It does this throughout the normal operating range, jumping as high as 5000 and dropping back to near normal. Replaced the tach last year and this one does exactly the same thing. It reads accurately without any jumping around below 1000 RPM. A friend three slips away reports his 1992 Carver 36 has the same problem. Can anyone help with diagnosis? Engines are 454 Crusaders.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check the tach sender. If it's on the flywheel, many times the depth has to be adjust over time. Usually bottoming them out and then backing off 1/2 a turn is about right.
  3. Joe P.

Joe P. New Member

Capt. J,
    Thank you for the response. I should have mentioned that the boat only has 400 hrs. on it since it was in storage for 6 years before I bought it in 2012. Would that be enough time for the sender to get off? I went to write a service order to get it fixed yesterday and the service manager suggested I contact Carver to see if there was maybe a service bulletin on it when I mentioned a neighboring boat having the same problem. That's why I tried this site too. I was really surprised when he mentioned that he thought there was a sender. I figured that by 1993 the boating industry would have caught up with the automotive industry and gone all electronic on tachs (i.e., no senders).
  4. C team

C team Senior Member

I had the same thing happen on one of my tachs. Turned out to be a slightly loose connection behind the tach. Reached downed while running and moved the feed wire and the tach stopped jumping. Got back to the dock and tighten the nut.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread has been moved to the Carver forum for better indexing.