Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Wally tender

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Mar 22, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We are looking at a couple 43 -47 Wally tender day boats. Does anyone have input on build quality or performance? They are definitely very beamy at 14’ for their 45.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Are you looking at inboards and shafts or at stern drives?

Have you compared to large center consoles?
  3. Danvilletim

Stern drive is what this used on has. It’s similar to some of the larger day boat center consoles. It’s is just a day boat. 14’ beam seems interesting.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I wouldn't under any conditions consider stern drives for that purpose. There's a reason they are a dying technology. Now you're talking them for salt water usage, never a good match for stern drives and you're talking aged stern drive so might as well figure new drives into your cost.

I like some of Wally's concepts, know nothing of their quality history, but never would get to the point of further investigation due to the stern drives and this is from someone who owned stern drives from the age of 13 to the age of 41. However, that was all on the lake and all purchased new and the longest kept was 7 years or so. They once served a purpose and still have some popularity inland.

The large center consoles are the day boat of today. Outboards are the propulsion. Otherwise some smaller traditional inboards.
  5. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

I have no experience with them, but I know several are running Number 6 Mercury Racing drives. I would not be worried about those breaking on that boat. I would avoid a boat running Bravo's.
  6. Danvilletim

You are correct that they are the Number 6 Mercury racing drives.. So I guess a bit beefed than typical stern drives. BTW .. This is the boat in Ft Lauderdale on Yachtworld. I thought it was a very solid boat but the wife HATED the design. The edgy design leaves you loving or hating.. Its a clean well priced boat for anyone looking for a large day boat.