Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Voyager 56 - Oceangoing?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by cfamsden, Jul 2, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cfamsden

cfamsden New Member

I need a boat to excite the wife but also to sportsfish for hours at a time, on the Pacific, off the SoCal Coast. It might not be North Carolina, but it can be a constant chop or swell. I've heard the Carvers are top heavy, so is this a good boat for this? Could I save 600K by getting a Voyager instead of a Hatteras, and adding a stabilizer?

Did Carver's hull thickness and quality in general improve a lot when things changed in the late '90s or am I looking at a boat that will take extra maintenance to keep it up? I hear it is more of a freshwater boat. The interior is great, and I just saw a '00 53' Voyager that looked great so I know they can still look good, but I want to get a good report from someone who uses the 53' or the 56' many weekends a year, 6 to 10 hours a day in open ocean, for a couple of years or more, and doesn't now want to buy a Hatteras or a Bertram instead.

thanks, Chris Amsden in SoCal
  2. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy New Member

Carver 57'

Hi...I own a 2004 Carver 57' ....love it. I use it mostly for coastal here in Southern Cali but gotta tell ya...she runs awesome! Had her in 6-8's just the other day...dry dry dry... My wife is crazy about the "condo" interior...we are using the heck out of this boat and finding it very reliable. The Carver is a good balance between reliability and comfort without breaking the bank wide open. If you're plans include some major open water...ask yourself how many times you'll make those types of trips...if not many, then charter.
    I also just hauled her out to check a few things and was amazed at the size of the shaft compared to a Hatteras...Carver puts one beefy shaft attached to those Volvo's...The Hatteras looked like a pencil in comparison.
    Good luck... I'm averaging 15 hours a month on my 57' and have no complaints...
  3. Hammer

Hammer New Member

+1

I also just picked up a 05 57 Voyager with 50 hours and full warranty and me and the wife can't stay off it. We had a 56 Navigator and it didn't have the WOW factor (as my wife put it) that this has. I have not had the opportunity of having out in the open water yet but will be taking it to the San Yuan’s and the inside straight (Alaska) next year.

The only complaint that I have is not enough time to enjoy it more... LOL!:)

Hammer