Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Volvo Penta IPS: When to change the pod dive seal?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Chesnee, Jan 21, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chesnee

Chesnee New Member

Good day to all,

I am a yacht broker in the BVI and representing a client's vessel with twin IPS 650 pod drives.

The vessel was commissioned in 2020 and currently only has just over 200hrs on the engines. So very little use...

But the question is; If not by hours, what is the timeframe to replace the pod seals? It has been four years since commissioning and I have a buyer questioning the seals.

I have emailed the manufacturer and have not heard back. Does anyone have any info on when they should be changed and any other significant maintenance that is likely due considering the time elapsed since commissioning?

Thanks for reading and the assistance!
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Call a servicing dealer and discuss. From reading, chances of Volvo answering seem slim. And it likely depends on which pod version, anyway, since they've evolved over time.

When we were shopping on an IPS boat, a service dealer near us told me pretty much everything I was trying to learn. (We ended up not buying that boat model, partly because the pods were an early version, but also due to other factors.)

-Chris
    Chesnee likes this.