Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Volvo Penta IPS 500 Transmission Failure

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Larrybob1, Oct 23, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Larrybob1

Larrybob1 New Member

I have a 2021 boat bought new with twin IPS 500's. Port transmission began displaying error codes showing port side having low pressure, overheating and transmission failure. Began shifting abruptly. Shut down and engaged the VP certified facility that has done all service work. They determined with VP input the shaft is grooved resulting in low pressure. Repair is total rebuild or remanufactured transmission. VP initial response is it's entirely my problem. I'm one yr past warranty coverage. Boat has 116 fresh water hours and lives on a lift in a covered slip. I contacted VP service. They took down my info. Reporting to customer relations who apparently will only speak with my servicing marina. I have asked VP to step-up and stand for repairs.

Comments please.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Has anybody discussed with you what causes this failure?
    Reality is; it is out of warranty.

If your service schedules were up, no signs of abuse, VP may just come thru for you.
    With my experience on other VP matters, They move at a snails pace.
  3. Colonel K

Colonel K New Member

Back in 2008 bought new boat with twin IPS 500's. First one blew at 135 hrs, the boat manufacturer contact VP and repairs were made. The second one blew at 270 hrs leaving Nantucket (became a world class cluster f#%K ) Vp was com out....nothing, nada. Once repaired sold the boat. Since then have heard "you had the early model and vast improvements have been made. Sounds like nothing has changed since 2008. FWIWget it repaired and sell it. Joy sticks are available for shaft boats, if you so desire.