Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger

Volvo Ocean Race 2005-2006

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Kevin, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

(Carl, I hope you don't mind a thread about the VOR... although not exactly "yacht" related, I know there's a few of us here that love the blow-boats.)

For those of us that do enjoy sails over diesel, what do you all think of the VOR thus far? It's come up elsewhere... I think someone mentioned the fragility of the V70s and their being underbuilt. Personally, I see that as a by-product of speed. Race vehicles in any discipline are built to extremes... biggest, smallest, lightest, etc, and more often than not with unproven and experimental materials. You can't learn if you don't forge ahead, but the trick is to know how far ahead you can go.

After nearly 2 days since the start of this third leg the 6 boats competing are all within about 50 miles of each other. I'm 100% new to ocean racing, so maybe this is normal, but to me... that seems like an impressively tight race. Tight racing is good to watch. The last in-port event was even more amazing... after 2 and a half hours on the water three of the boats crossed the finish line within 15 seconds of each other.

I'm also really impressed with the ability to follow this even too. Despite having trouble keeping track of the time zone issues (seeing as the event is being run on the other side of the planet) there VOR site offers a ton of info for a spectator to keep track of what's going on. Virtual Spectator has been running on my home & work computers since Saturday evening, and the regular email updates from the boats make me feel like I'm practically part of the crews.

Overall: Great stuff! I've found yet another sport to get into.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There's one concept I don't quite get... anyone here able to explain just how the Ice Gates figure into the route? Do the boats have to sail between these gates? Or stay north of them?
  3. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

I just came across a few very cool books, they are the official ABN AMRO Book put out AFTER the 2005-2006 Volvo Ocean Race. Included is a PAL DVD, which will work in a laptop, I watched it and it is very cool. The book is roughly 10"x12" cool coffee table book. 120 pages, great photography, great addition to the library.

I have five left and would be willing to send them out for free to any YF user with more than 50 posts. My little gift to the supporters of this great site. I just ask that you send me whatever the actual shipping cost is via paypal.

Attached Files:

4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

WOW!!!!

Me please?!? :D

Where'd you even get those? I only saw the book/DVD combo from the VOR site covering the entire field, not just ABN. Mind you, I haven't looked at their site in quite a while... I only check the VOR site to keep up with the news of the next edition (which is already shaping up to be exciting, even if the route is controversial).
  5. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

Kevin, you were the first person I thought of! I have followed the VOR since the I was in La Rochelle France for the 2002 stop over. PM me your address and the USPS will tell me how much it will cost to send.
  6. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Why VOR boats are not exactly yachts? These are yachts like motoryachts. If not, then I am in a wrong forum (!?). :confused:
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just sent off the PM viking. :)

Apples and oranges René... it's hard to consider a purebread race boat as a "yacht", when they don't even paint the interior carbon fiber just to save a few pounds.
  8. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

There is some truth, but we also discuss about tenders and these are less yachts then racing yachts...in my mind.

BTW, I don't want a dispute with you.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

No problem at all René, it's not "dispute"... it's discussion. :)
  10. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

According to wikipedia

In modern use, the term yacht applies to two rather different classes of sea vessels, sailing yachts and power yachts. Traditionally, yachts were differentiated from working ships mainly by purpose—yachts were swift and comfortable conveyances of the wealthy and powerful. It was not until the ascendancy of the steamboat and other types of powerboat that sailing vessels came to be seen as luxury items. Modern use of the term applies to nearly all sailing vessels, other than sailing dinghies, that are used for yacht racing or for pleasure cruising.
  11. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

Well Said Garry, perhaps the term Gin Palace is more appropriate for Motor Yachts, to me a Yacht is a sailing boat.
    Then again ginpalaceforum.com or stinkboatforum.com doesn't quite have the same ring to it:D
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Guys,

I've moved this thread over to the General Sailing Discussion for indexing purposes.
  13. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

On the LVAC boats they coated the interior carbon fiber so that the guys down in the so called sewer would not rub on it and get the carbon fiber in their skins- which i am told is very very painful and itchy- It is not exactly paint but some other very very thin coating just to put a barrier between the guys in the bottom and the interior carbon fiber.. so couldn't they not do this on the VOR boats?
  14. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

I am happy that I was able to extend such a cool book to two regular contributors, Kevin and K1W1, thanks guys for all your posts