Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Volvo IPS pod failure x 6 on 2024 boat

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Schaefer450, Jul 3, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

So I have a 2024 boat that splashed late July last year and I am now on the *6th Pod *for the boat.

45ft Shaefer Flybridge

The first two failed with faulty seals and salt water in both drives. They were replaced and then I left Ft Lauderdale and got to Charleston and salt water in the Port Drive again. It was replaced and then I leave Charleston and this time the whole transmission blows 10 miles offshore and now this has been replaced with the 6th pod, upper and lower I was told by Volvo that the initial pods failed as they had a known issue with the collars, something to do with making the seals more effective for salt water ingress.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue as I would have thought that there would have been a recall on the original pods? as any 2024 hull boat could have had pods installed with the same issue.
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Hard to imagine that there's any useful information to provide. Maybe there is but I'm wondering how the conversion went when you told them you want to give the boat back?
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  3. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

unsure what you are asking here.

I am just trying to see if I am just unlucky here or if other people have experienced the same issue after the Director from Volvo told me it was a known issue.

Useful information would be others that have experienced the same failures with the drives.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Curious if they have offered extended warranty coverage or if you have asked them for it?
  5. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

So far the manufacturer Schaefer has blown me off saying its an engine issue talk to Volvo and Volvo have offered me a 1 year extension, but I purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the boat, and from what I understand the warranty resets after the work oh and they did say they would pay for a captain from SC to CT where I am based.
  6. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

This is my timeline and the people that worked on it, I picked the boat up from FL but I live in CT so brought it up here for the summer but as I got it late in the season moved it back to FL for the winter to get more time on it.

Just trying to see if other people have had the same issues or maybe the engines are installed incorrectly and causing the pods to fail?

The latest 6th Pod was installed by Coastal Carolina, Volvo pulled WBD off the project.

March 6th JAS Marine carry out 200 hr service in Ft Lauderdale and inform me that there is saltwater present in both lower drives and the boat needs to come out of the water.

Thursday March 28th Boat is lifted at Royal Palm Marina in Ft Lauderdale and both lower drives replaced and uppers reconditioned over following two weeks.

Boat returned for use 18th April.

Boat unusable for 43 days

Leave Ft. Lauderdale April 18th 2024

Arrive in Charleston April 22nd With Oil Quality sensor warning on Port transmission.

Tue 23rd April Carry out factory reset remotely with Western Branch Diesel (WBD). Oil Quality Sensor Warning message still shows.

Wednesday 24th and Thursday 25th Engineers from WBD work on the boat in slip to replace the sensor.

Engineers still working on boat so I leave Charleston on Friday 26th and told boat will be ready on the Monday. I return to Charleston on Sunday 28th April.

On Monday 28th WBD return to the boat and inform me that there is saltwater present again in the Port drive.

I stay on boat and arrange for the boat to be lifted for the second time at Cooper River Marina on Wednesday 1st May.

WBD then take a pretty long time to order parts and complete work on the port pod. And it transpires that the engineer that carried out the work was not certified by Volvo to work on the IPS drives.

Informed by WBD boat is now fixed and arranged for it to go back into the water and arrange with Cooper River for this to happen on Monday 10th June, I return to Charleston Sunday 9th.

Boat goes into the water on Monday 10th June. A low oil pressure warning is present. Same uncertified engineer works on the boat all day to no avail (obviously dont know this guy is uncertified at this point) I then have to arrange a tow to The Harbourage at Ashley Marina.

Over this week I wait with the boat. The first engineer has a family bereavement and so WBD arrange for another engineer to come from VA. Second Engineer Tyler then works on the boat and finds a part has not been replaced in the oil pump.

This is then replaced and I am told boat is ready to depart Charleston the following day – June 15th.

Boat unusable for 49 days

I depart Charleston 7am on June 10th. Stay close to shore for first 2 hrs, monitor oil pressure on drives. 3.5 hrs in and 10 miles offshore, I hear a grinding noise, and receive low oil pressure warnings and propeller stuck warnings.

I shut off the port engine, and then back track 2 hrs to Georgetown on one engine and then call for a tow to get into Georgetown landings Marina.

Monday June 12th I arrange for boat to be lifted for the 3rd time at Hazard Marine in Georgetown and arrange for a 3rd tow to get the boat from Georgetown landings to Hazard Marine.

Boat is now out of the water at Hazard Marine being worked on. Salt water is present in Upper section of drive implying that the upper was never reconditioned.

As off then the boat has been unusable for 94 days.

Coastal Carolina then replace WBD and install a new Port Drive and upper transmission

This takes about 7 days to complete and Volvo send down one of their techs to supervise

I now need to go back to SC and do a sea Trial
    NOSINK likes this.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Well you've since shared what the folks who took your money have to say. Which is what I was asking.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly your asking IPS questions after your purchase.

There were early IPS issues with seals and rings. That stuff was supposed fixed years ago.
    Still, every now and then we hear of A failure.
    A 2024 NEW rig should not have any IPS problems.

Is their lemon laws for boats?
    Maybe some bad luck but if you have spent any money on this, time to call an attorney.
    And consider giving the boat back.

Remember, a few years (months) from now, with this history, your not going to be able to sell the boat, much less give it to anybody.
  9. Colonel K

Colonel K New Member

Say what? They are telling you the same BS they told me back in 2008. Basically, it’s not will your pods fail…..but when. Couldn’t wait to sell the boat. Back to straight shafts and never looked back. Good luck.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Very unfortunate and sorry to hear of your issues. Based on your timeline, it looks like WBD did all the work until recent. It will be interesting to see if the new shop resolves this and if it was the pods or the repair shop.

I would have a hard time trusting that boat going forward but perhaps if it was the repair shop at fault maybe that would be different.
  11. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

Jas Marine in Ft Lauderdale did the first repairs, WBD then did the second repairs and then Coastal Caroline did the final repairs including the new upper this time as well.

Agree re the resale value and for sure personally don't have confidence in the boat set up. Concern now is engines were maybe not properly installed in the first instance causing all the pod failures.

even if the engines are all replaced resale value will be lower.

Will get a captain to bring her back up to CT (with full knowledge of the issues) and then guess she will become a floating Gin Palace while the lawyers play it out.

But just life theft. Would have thought the manufacturer Schaefer and Volvo would have stood by their products.

Thanks for all the response though, appreciated and will keep you posted but don't hold your breaths, feels like this is going to run for a while or until its all in the public domain of the courts.
    Adopo likes this.
  12. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

As a broker I deal with a good number of Volvo IPS owners in the mid range boats. Steve at Coastal Carolina has done several surveys and maintenance for my people with good results. Have not experienced any failures.
    If I owned your boat, I would fly the forensic Volvo tech (independent) up from Miami and have him diagnose what is going on here. Sabre and Tiara's with IPS are most of my experiences. They do require constant tweeking but our experience has been no failures. Seems installation would be the first place to look but Volvo has likely done that.
    Talk about IPS anxiety, how could anyone feel comfortable running up the coast in this ole girl.
  13. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

Thanks for the reply, do you have the details of the forensic volvo tech?
  14. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Fortunately, I have not needed him for 2 years so. Not like we are best buds. A buyer used him for triple Volvo IPS on a MJM50 in Palm Beach Gardens. I was impressed so I flew him to CT for a Tiara 53 which was money well spent.
    See if any other Schaeffer owners are having issues. You need a tech on your side going forward.
    Andres E Garmendia
    Mechanical Engineer
    Smart Diesel Service LLC
    102 NW 133RD AVE. UNIT 103
    PLANTATION. FL
    smartdieselservice at gmail.com
    +1-(954)-258-8100
  15. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

I am trying to find out if any other Schaefer boats have experienced the same issue and also just any other Volvo pod owners in general.
    Thanks I think Steve is the one at CC who has just completed the 6th pod install and the new upper.
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Amen to that.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  17. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

You should join the Volvo ips web site run by Volvo. It’s been a while since. Was on the site, but lots of issues with the IPS from Models A to E,

Best of luck
  18. Schaefer450

Schaefer450 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion do you have a link?
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You have something else going on. Either the hull design has something to do with tearing up the seals in the drives, or you maneuver in sandy water or something. I have run a lot of IPS boats and can't remember the last time I had one serviced with water in the drive. Generally those issues were in 2015 +/- boats and not that often.
  20. Adopo

Adopo Member

So I am interested to see this thread, but sorry for your complete aggravation, as you said, Life Thief! Our most important thing is time, and we never ever get it back. The reason I am interested to see the thread is we have been considering a boat with pods. Maybe this thread has answered my question. And for a number of years I have been told to stay away from Cummins Zeus due to their breakup for one, and to only consider the volvo. BTW, we did test the Schaefer 660 in St Pete, that was a fast boat. How's the rest of the boat been?

This Outer Reef Trident 62 below is kinda a cream puff as it has been under cover and my wife likes Maximo, a hard to get covered slip can come with the boat I am told. Big price drop, but I think I will pass. And they are going to V drives on the Trident. That should tell us everything we need to know. Pods are a great idea, that seems to have issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024