Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Volvo D-12 exhaust elbow

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by roblou15, Apr 16, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. roblou15

roblou15 New Member

I have a 2006 56 VOYAGER WITH VOLVO D12 675 hp engines. both engines developed pin hole leaks in the exhaust elbows. The elbows are stainless and very expensive. Any suggestions on how to prolong the life of these parts i had to replace both because they would eventually leak back in to the turbos and trash them
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, have D'Angelo's in Ft. Lauderdale make them for you instead of using the Volvo parts.
  3. roblou15

roblou15 New Member

why would that be any different it seems that the problem is salt water sits in the elbow and eventually eats away the surface it would make sense if there were some way to fresh water flush the system after use
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You will get pinholes in Stainless Steel even if it is freshwater that sits in it for long enough.

It would be best if you could get new ones made that can be drained after flushing when the system is not in use .
  5. talexander38

talexander38 Member

K1W1, is right S/S hates to be heated and cooled in cycles and custom made elbows or new ones then add drains to them
  6. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

Depending on the confiquration of the elbows, they might be able to be redesigned so that they drain when you shut the engines down. Also, not all stainless is the same.