Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Utopia in Greenwich, CT.

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by CTdave, Oct 26, 2007.

1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I took these 4 weeks ago & forgot to post them:eek:

Attached Files:

2. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Is the narrowness of the beam a by-product of resizing?, as it looks that she could get blown over by the slightest gale. Maybe LOTS of lead in the keel.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

LOL! The narrowness of her beam?
    I think not, Utopia's beam is nearly 40 feet. I think around 12 M. That is pretty wide for a yacht of her length. While there are other yachts her length that may feature a wider beam, Utopia's is still significant. I do not think that you can say 'the narrowness of the beam.' It might only look that way because she has pretty tall proportions above the waterline, so it almost reduces her beam (illusion).
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, she is known to be narrow, it is not the pictures. She is also balanced to not lean in a strong wind, at least so they say. Here she is; http://www.utopia-***********/
  5. Yacht Novice

Yacht Novice New Member

I saw her in Europe this summer. She was tied along a pier so I was able to get right next to her. She is gorgeous. I was really impressed by it.
  6. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Thanks for the link,
    Obviously Feadship did extensive testing to establish it’s Lateral Center of Buoyancy prior to build, but one must wonder if they were pushing the design envelope here, or if it was an express condition on the owner’s behalf
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It must have been the original buyer asking for this design I guess, since it was almost too big for the De Vries inland shipyard. To get her from there to the open sea she had the maximum beam and also had to be lifted with airbags where it was to shallow. Today they can build much larger and wider yachts at their new facility for X-tra large yachts...