Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

USA - B1/B2 visa issues - Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by LukeB, Oct 11, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Hi all,

Ive just finished working on a 50m motor yacht based in the Med as a 2nd Engineer. Myself and my partener are considering following the masses and heading over the pont to Fort Lauderdale area to look for work end of this month.

My question is, as we have never been over to that part of the world, and are both on European passports, is it worth heading over if we do not have the infamous "b1/b2" visa's?

Will be stand a chance in getting a job?

There has been so much said about this visa, and how to get it, that I would really like to hear from any of you out there that are based in the US or have any first hand experiance.

Anyway advise is appreicated!

cheers
    LkB:cool:
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Breaking The Law

I would recommend that you definitely get the proper visas before coming over here to look for work. Otherwise you will run the risk of being caught and deported! As tough as that sounds, the realities are even tougher. Once you have been deported there will be a long while before you are even allowed to re-enter the US and then there will be a HUGE red flag over your head every time you try.
    On a more practical note- As a captain, I wouldn't even consider hiring people without the proper visas (even for daywork) as it puts me and the vessel at risk.
    It may seem like alot of red tape, but go the extra effort if you want to visit the States for work.

An a more positive note- the job market here is BOOMING.:)
  3. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Ken,

Thanks for you advice. Thats exactly what I was expecting to hear, however when you say that its best that you " go the extra effort", I am willing to and would prefer to have all my ducks in a row, ie, have my b1/b2 visa before going to the states, however it seems that without a job on a vessel already, it is basically impossilbe to obtain this visa? which rules out FL (which is the hub of the yachting on the Americas side of the world) as a so called hunting ground for work!
  4. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

my suggestion

I would suggest not heading to the US..... yet.

Fly down to Sint Maarten, there you will also find lots of work. At Isle De Sol marina there is a small chandlery store run by a guy called Smiley, he has a crew house that is very good value.

While there you are likely to find a job on a yacht, then you can get a contract and that means you'll be able to get your B1/B2.

HOWEVER, you'll need to go to a US embassy to get that visa. So a trip to Barbados, Nassau or any other you can fly too. Note the Nassau only issues visas on Fridays and they may be booked up on the nearest friday. Give yourself at least two weeks in that case.

Make sure you do everything by the book, as you can imagine the US authorities are very tight on this.

One last thing, if the US embassy tells you that you DON'T need a visa, ignore them!! My crew have been told a number of times that it is not a requirement which could get them into alot of trouble. YOU MUST HAVE A B1/B2.
  5. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Thanksfor the info guys!

Much appreciated

Luke
  6. LukeB

LukeB New Member

B1/B2 visa issues take 2!

Hi again all,

Ok, basically I am currently considering taking up an offer on a private expediation yacht, they owner wants myself and my partner to join in Floriday, 1st week of January 07 aftewich the boat will be hitting the bahamas and surrounds. The owener has not had to arrange b1 visas for his crew before, and therefore has asked me what I need from him in order to apply.

The boat is not a US flagged vessel, it is under the CI flag.

My question is, provided we get a contract or letter of employment from the vessel, can we apply for our b1/b2 visas for example here in London where we currently are, and then fly out to the US and join the vessell, or should be rather join the vessel in the bahamas, (which the owner does not mind) and then apply from there in January?

I just dont want to stuff this up and get denied our visas for any silly reasons..

thanks in advance..

Luke
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Letter

Luke,
    A letter from the owner or captain on the vessel's letterhead should suffice. It wouldn't hurt to have it notarized as well. After that, you should be able to go to the consulate to obtain the visa. I would contact the one in London and inquire about what is needed from them as it seems that there is no steadfast rule that applies. I have had crew with many different experiences in the past.
    Good luck and congratulations on the new job.
    Ken
  8. MYCaptainChris

recent

My most recent crew member got his visa in London, which is where I would suggest you get it. Get it out the way so you don't need to worry again.

He require:
    A Contract
    A letter stating the yachts planned schedule
    A copy of the registration
    A pound of flesh.

Good luck and welcome to Florida
  9. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Thanks guys, thanks for all your info and help.

:cool:

Cheers
    Luke
  10. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Hi MYCaptainChris,

Just a quick question, was your recent crew member who got his B1/B2 visa in London a British Citizen?
  11. MYCaptainChris

hello

yes he was
  12. LukeB

LukeB New Member

SORTED!! Got issued visa today, thanks all for your helpfull hints..
  13. LukeB

LukeB New Member

What happens when leaving the US with regards to my I94??

Hi all,

Just wandering how I notify the INS that I have left the US. As you know, when you enter on a b1/b2 visa, you get granted x days to stay, afterwich, you would more than likley be sailing out, like I am on Monday.

What I need to know is, how do I notify the INS that I have left the US? Do I post my I 94 somewhere??

Anyone got some advice...

Thanks..
    LkB
  14. MYCaptainChris

ok

They will take your I94 when you leave. Make sure they do as you don't want them to think that you haven't left not to be let in next time.
  15. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Hi Chris, not sure what you mean. Who will take them from me when I leave? I know if you exit the country via airport, they take them. But when leaving by sea, you dont usually go through border control..?
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I haven't been out of the US in a while on a boat but there used to be a few boxes to fill out on the back of the bit in your passport to fill out an addy to send it to.
  17. yotphix

yotphix New Member

They should be submitted when the captain goes to customs to get outbound clearance. Just as America wants to know that the boat left the country, they want to know that the crew left with it.
  18. MYCaptainChris

when you check out

when you check out, and make sure you do check out too.
  19. cranky

cranky New Member

On every boat that I have every worked on it is the responsibilty of the captain to ensure that all paperwork and documentation is in order and submitted to the appropriate authority at the correct time.
  20. MYCaptainChris

correct

Cranky is correct so this shouldn't be an issue at all