Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Twin Disc MG5065a pressure

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CharlieC, Nov 2, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CharlieC

CharlieC New Member

I have two Volvo D9-575 with Twin Disc MG5065.

I’m having some confusion on what pressure I should be getting. Since I have two engines, I can compare the two and they are different. I am having an operational concern with the starboard gear.

the tag on the gear case says 310 psi at cruise.

the service manual says at 600 rpm minimum 350 and max 370.

my port gear that is working fine is at 370 and will rise to over 400 at speed.

the starboard that is in question is at 335-345 at 600 rpm and will rise to 370. These pressures are the same for primary or secondary. The Volvo EVC reads the pressure and temp off a sensor on the gear cooler. I have an analog gauge attached to the primary test port and it mirrors the EVC readout.

the starboard had a problem with shifting and I got some black debris in the strainer. I have changed the oil a couple times to clean it up. I found that the electric shift solenoids were acting erratically and have changed them. I am waiting for a chance to test run now. Hopefully I have it fixed and the clutches were not toasted. The problem shows itself after shifting a lot and least an hour of use.

the immediate question is; what is truly acceptable pressure? I have been told that the tag is the gospel and my port is actually too high. Supposedly Volvo is known to spec different than the standard pressure for gears.
    Does anyone have any insight in this?
  2. CharlieC

CharlieC New Member

I do NOT have trolling valves installed.